Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

When to upgrade to Links SQL?

Quote Reply
When to upgrade to Links SQL?
Hi!

Reading past posts I've followed the threads on how many links can Links2 handle, and I'm still not clear on this, since widgetz recommends 2,000 and one user affirms to have 10,000...

Anyway, more than the amount of links, I'm wondering how many unique visitors (thus, search requests) can Links (and generally any ASCII based database) can handle before blowing up...

Thansk!

Quote Reply
Re: When to upgrade to Links SQL? In reply to
The "tested" range by most LINKS 2.0 users is between 3,000 and 5,000! This has been discussed many times! Again, sigh, depends on the following factors:

1) The number of fields you've defined in the links.def and category.def.

2) The amount of data you allow per field.

3) Your hardware and software configurations...dedicated server, much better. Virtual server with a lot of memory and CPU allowance will allow you to add more links!

BTW: The person with 10,000 links or more is probably on a dedicated server or a virtual server with tons of CPU and memory and also has deleted a bunch of fields from links.def meaning that he or she is able to store a lot more links than the tested range!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Re: When to upgrade to Links SQL? In reply to
Wow, this must have been the biggest brake I have taken from coming back here in the longest of times. It's kind of sad that after a year, Alex hasn't released any new updates to Links 2.0, and only the addon makers. Yes, I have fallen into the PHP world. I'm now working on some PHP portal type opensource projects. Right now, I've got the joy of writing a "kernel" type thing for it, which includes a multilevel admin and database intergration system/layer. Anyhows, it's nice to see a few familar faces around here, and many new ones. (Alex, I really like how the site looks now)

Well, there, I can't believe I still remember this, are many different ways in getting links to support even more links. As Eliot said, the ammount of information stored for each link, can have a great influence on the proformance. Weather you just have a title and a link or a title, link, and a paragraph or two about it, can have a big impact on it. With the way links handles the flat file databases, you wont want to put many, many links into it. The searching methods, of looping line by line will slow things down allot. If data is stored in more of an indexed type of database, many more links could be stored more efficintally, such results have been seen using Links SQL. An option, which might speed things up a little bit, would be to rewrite parts of it, using dbm style queries and such, could speed things up. It really depends on the speed of the server. Another thing would be if you are using linux or windows nt as a server, could make things faster/slower.

--Jim