Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

What's Cool Section?

Quote Reply
What's Cool Section?
How exactly does link determine which sites to insert into what's cool section. I want to do this manually. There is a configuration option to setup each site for "Is popular" but every time I set that to yes and rebuild the pages it automatically resets to No. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: What's Cool Section? In reply to
It is configured by a percentage of votes with the percentages of total Rating for that particular link.

And the independent variable is the $db_popular_cutoff variable located in the links.cfg file.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.
Quote Reply
Ok, so now that I know how it calculates the question is how do you manually configure it. Basically I want the sites to be listed on what's cool section when they link back to me. How do I do it. Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply

Quote:
how do you manually configure it.

Welp, you would have to hack the sub build_update_newpop routine in the nph-build.cgi script.

Before providing codes or suggestions...I have one question...Do you want the Admin to only be able to rate links as "popular"? If you want both the users and admin to rate links as "popular", this would be very complicated to do.

Also, there is a Modification in the Resource Center called something like Recip Mod, that denotes sites that provide links back to your site and sorts them at the top of your links listing in the category pages. Some LINK users have modified the recipicrol Mod to create a separate page of sites that link back to their sites.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.

[This message has been edited by AnthroRules (edited April 13, 2000).]