Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Webcrawler, Yahoo, Snap templates and Copyright Laws!

Quote Reply
Webcrawler, Yahoo, Snap templates and Copyright Laws!
What's the word on this?

I like these templates a lot (awesome work guys) and plan to use all three.

Let's say one of these search engine companies found my site and its' similarities and let's also say my site becomes successful (please, please). Couldn't I be sued (sued?) for copyright infringements and/or violations.

I think I'd be using the Webcrawler template most often with a few colour changes and other changes to give it a look of authenticity. (Maybe this would save my butt)
But again let's say I didn't do this!

TIA

[This message has been edited by wesley (edited October 16, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Re: Webcrawler, Yahoo, Snap templates and Copyright Laws! In reply to
I was kind of wanting to know the same thing....It seems though as long as you don't have the same logo design and content there really isn't much they can do. I mean several big search sites use the same categories menu as Yahoo....

Does your Host let you use links? I am looking for a host that will accept Links.
Quote Reply
Re: Webcrawler, Yahoo, Snap templates and Copyright Laws! In reply to
Okay...this has been discussed before in terms of intellectual property rights and copyright laws. It is unfortunate that the Web has become such a competitive space. Tim Berners-Lee the Founder of HTML has indicated disappointment in the manner in which HTML and web pages have evolved in terms of protection of web designs and structure.

HTML is an OPEN SOURCE language. It cannot be copyrighted. However, graphics can be trademarked. If you use a structure of another site (which lacks creativity in my opinion), you cannot be sued. However, if you offer graphics and competitive services, then you can be sued.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology