Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Want to design own page layout

Quote Reply
Want to design own page layout
Could somebody tell me how to modify the look and feel of the links site. I don't want to use the templates. I would linke to create my own layout. Do I have to change anything on links.cfg to use the site html.pl.

Thank You
Quote Reply
Re: Want to design own page layout In reply to
Ron,

Whether or not you use templates makes no difference other than where you do the html changing. If you use templates, you can change any part of the html in them to however you want the site to look. If you do not use templates, then you do the same thing in the various subroutines of site_html.pl. Using templates does not restrict what you can do at all.
Quote Reply
Bobsie,
That statement is incorrect. I found I was able to do much more by editing the site_html.pl file instead of the templates. Using webadverts and other programs that run off of ssi were much easier to convert. But thats only my oppion.
Quote Reply
Right, and in my opinion, anything that can be done without templates can be done with templates. Don't forget, the only thing the templates do is load up the html code. Any perl code needed is still put in site_html_templates.pl just as is done in site_html.pl. But, as you said, that is just my opinion.
Quote Reply
Back to ron's question.

In the file links.cfg about middle of file.
Code:
# Use Templates: instead of editing site_html.pl, you can edit regular html pages
# encoded with special <%links_tags%>. It's not as flexible as site_html.pl, but it
# may be easier.
$build_use_templates = 0;

Change the 0 - for no templates
or change to a 1 - for templates

happy coding