Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Wanna create a Links2 user resource?

Quote Reply
Wanna create a Links2 user resource?
This falls under under the heading of "great idea, but who's gonna DO it?".Angelic

Use Links2 to build a resource for Links2 users! Categories could include 'how to install,' 'installation problems,' 'how to use,' 'mods for categories,' 'mods for search,' etc. You get the idea. Many of the links could reference these forums, but it would be nice to have folks write pages with step-by-step stuff. Lot's of people come here, try to use the script, and leave frustrated. I like the program, but have had to tough out many issues. And while MANY of the answers folks need are in these forums, it would be nice to put the info into an easier-to find-help format.

I would be willing to work on this, but I will need the support of the veteran users here. No, I'm certainly no expert on Links2, but I have a pretty good handle on it, enjoy messin' and learnin', and would like to help others do the same.

Thoughts?Crazy

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFlunkie] Wanna create a Links2 user resource? In reply to
Why not use and develop this one:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...ces/Links/index.html
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Wanna create a Links2 user resource? In reply to
Paul,

I would certainly include much of that info, but maybe in an easier-to-use format (and those default colors gotta go!). There are 572 links from that page, and well over half point to 'sites in action'; that label is dubious ("in action"), as many links from there, iand from the mods section, are deadlinks.

I have used stuff from your site, Paul, and am working on a page that will credit you (and others) with providing the code for some of my features/functions. I just converted my home page to CSS, a language I am learning to love. The rest of the site will follow quickly...

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
Does anyone know what 'Intheroom' was referring to when he wrote this:

"1) A step by step installation guide (which there already is btw) " from this thread?

I am still interested in working on this, and have an idea that will keep me from having do it all myself. I can set up the Genesis Web Authoring System on my site, and folks who would like to help out can submit 'articles' or 'how-to guides' which I would then compile into a Links2 based resource.

Stage One: expand on installation procedures and possible errors/solutions, and go into more detail on the Menu Options from the Links Manager default page. What's there is good advertising copy, stating what CAN be done, but very little on HOW and WHY to it.

If there is no interest expressed, I will drop the subject, but it is something that has come up many times in previous posts. And no, I will not be switching to LinksSQL in the foreseeable future. I see this script (Links2) as a very practical, educational, and fun thing for people to use, and to help them step into the world of Perl, etc.

What's the word?Unimpressed

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
I like the idea, and I could put some time into the project.

It is very difficult, at least for me, and I have seen some posts that tell me I am not alone, to find information. Sure you can search throught the posts - if you know what to ask. Many people who come here don't know perl.

I have found some really useful mods, tips, hints, and tweaks for mods, etc. and it would be great to have them stored somewhere accessible and ordered. I suppose scavenger hunts are fun, but I'd rather spend time searching for great links to add to my web.

I also wonder what part Gossamer Threads would play in this. Is Gossamer Threads just Alex? Is there a support person at GT who posts answers here in the Forums? What is the philosophy that drives this forum?

Richard
"Be practical, expect miracles." - James T. McCay
Quote Reply
Re: [Tricky Ricky] Wanna create a Links2 user resource? In reply to
The project is underway! I have created a "light links" version of the script (stripped of add, modify, cool, new, etc), and applied the Perlfect search engine and the Genesis script to a new site, linksresource.com. The URL should propogate by the weekend, and WE (this will require help from users) will begin populating the site. Details of the plan will be posted on the site.

This is a message I received from someone I was helping:
Quote:
I just wish there were more detailed tutorials available out there that hand-held newbies like me through all this instead of having to search through the forums there.
So, that is where we will start. As the project progresses, we will get into mods, and more...

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
That's excellent!!

And I might add, a large committment of resources on your part.

Richard
"Be practical, expect miracles." - James T. McCay
Quote Reply
Nice job...

Although this is not the first attempt at an alternative Links 2.0 user resource web site. But may be you'll do a better job than the ones in the past.

Keep up the nice work.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
I still think that resources should be kept centralized. This is why a lot of past attempts at resources websites have failed,

The current resources section should be improved rather that spreading the resources over external websites.

Last edited by:

Paul: Dec 6, 2002, 1:26 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Wanna create a Links2 user resource? In reply to
I tend to agree that good information should be here on this site. However, this is an issue that has been ongoing in these forums for several years. I have seen almost no new material here (resource section) in a long while, and even some that is here contains deadlinks. I do not intend to have a forum that will compete with this one, but may put one up for site-user input.

My idea is to have one site with as much info as possible, without off-site links. Keep everything "in house," so to speak. Once this is all assembled, if it proves worthwhile, maybe it can be moved to GT's servers to become a part of their service.

The URL went "hot" quicker than expected (since when do URLs propogate overnite?), but I am just about ready to start. Once it's set, I'll start a new thread here to announce it.

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie