Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Verify- Quick Check & Detailed- NO GO

Quote Reply
Verify- Quick Check & Detailed- NO GO
Hi all,
Finished my Links database and all seems to be working except for the verify functions. I get a browser error "the document contains no data".
I did a search here and found others who said they also got this error once their database grew to over 200 links. I now have 528 links.
The verify functions were working with my small test database.
Is this just the way it is? I did not see any resolutions to this problem in the search results.
Does the LWP checker in the Resource Center solve this problem, since it verifies before the links are entered in the db?
Any thoughts?
Thanks to everyone for all your help. Couldn't have gotten Links up and running w/o you!!!!
-V
Quote Reply
Re: Verify- Quick Check & Detailed- NO GO In reply to
usually a document contains no data on an nph script means that there was a fatal error.. many things could be included in this.. like you simply don't have IO and Sockets.. or something is wrong with the code (extra "{","}","(",")",",",";") etc..

first you should try and get the original copy.. fix the perl path and upload.. if it's a no go.. then you don't have IO or Sockets..

jerry
Quote Reply
Hi Jerry,
I found these modules listed at my host as being installed.
IO-1.19
IO-Tee-0.62
IO-stringy-1.203
libwww-perl-5.36
Socket-1.6

(full list of installed modules here: http://support.pair.com/config/perlmods.html)

It looks to me like I have the right perl modules. Funny thing is that the Quick Check and Detailed verify were working with a small db. I tried uploading an original of nph-verify, but what's true is that I haven't made any changes to it anyway.
Still a no go.
Any other parts of the script that I should check besides nph-verify?
Thanks for the help...
-V
Quote Reply
The LWP url checker could be modded, but it would be nph-verify.cgi if it was. Its meant to check them when they are added. Not to serve the same purpose of nph-verify which checks them all automatically. Question - do any of the other ^nph files work?
Quote Reply
if your server is apache.. always look for the error-log for your answers.. ask your host to tell you the path to your error log.. and you can use this script to tail the last 20 lines..

Code:
#!/usr/local/bin/perl

$log = "/var/log/apache/pdamania.com.error";

$tail = $ENV{'QUERY_STRING'} || 20;
$tail =~ s/\D//;

print "Content-Type: text/plain\n\n";
print "Last $tail Errors:\n";
open (ERROR, "tail -$tail $log | tail -$tail |") || die $!;
while (<ERROR> ) { print; }
close ERROR;
exit;

ok.. i finally thought of another reason.. did you upload Validator.pm in ascii format.. i usually forget to upload in acsii..

if you had error logs you'd figure that out in a second..

jerry

[This message has been edited by widgetz (edited November 12, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Bmxer wrote:
Question - do any of the other nph files work?
------------------------------------------

Well, nph-build.cgi definitely works. Does nph-email.cgi have to do with the newsletter function? If so I haven't really had a reason or opportunity to test it. No subscribers so far, just Admin added links since my site is in alpha.

Jerry, thanks for the ideas and script. I will have to check with my host about the error logs, and it takes them a while to get back to me, so.... guess this will go on the back burner until I get the info. Yes, it is an Apache server. They are running FreeBSD operating system and Apache 1.3.3.
Regards,
-V

PS- tried re-uploading validator.pm, still no go...

[This message has been edited by V Silly (edited November 12, 1999).]
Quote Reply
who's your host VSilly?

hehe.. when i can't figure out paths i just use a script i made for a perl college course i took recently called "lab5.cgi"

it was suppose to just list the files in a directory and then you can rename them.. but i made it into a telnet script VERY similiar to the regular one that runs with bash commands except that it's totally anonymous.. so i could practically be the SU (super user) on my server.. it's pretty useful.. it runs in telnet and you can add any command to it.. (as long as you know how to program..) i've added CD DIR RMDIR CP CHMOD and a bunch of the default ones.. but i added some of my own for "viewing" files.. and "finding" what i need.. it's pretty much anonymous command line.. lethal to a server heh

of course.. i'm not like that.. Wink

but i figured out that my server has referer logs by doing that..

and then again.. there is always..

did i mention i got an "A" on it? Smile

jerry

[This message has been edited by widgetz (edited November 12, 1999).]