Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

UltimateBB stolen!

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
UltimateBB stolen!
Is it me or does anybody else think that the IndexFingers newest "script" and their message boards look just a little too much like the UltimateBB? Here is the link in case anybody hasn't seen it Smile

------------------
Joseph Gruber
http://linksgalore.virtualave.net

~To be or not to be...which is better?~
Quote Reply
Re: UltimateBB stolen! In reply to
Ummm... I think you forgot the link. Smile

------------------
Bob Connors
bobsie@orphanage.com
www.orphanage.com/goodstuff/
goodstufflists.home.ml.org/

Quote Reply
I got the email too: Its at <URL>www.indexfinger.com/forum/bigtalker.cgi</URL> I think he will charge a lot for it too.

[This message has been edited by mellinger (edited January 25, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Actually, I think he's supposed to be knocking it out quite cheap. Although I don't like his business practices, it does look a good program, and it can't be a copy of UBB - it's much too fast Smile

Will be interesting to see the code though - when he finally releases it...

BTW, take a look @ http://www.indexfinger.com/tech/index.html for a more 'populated' board - and take a look at the attitude in the request forum while you're there:

Quote:
I'm starting a new policy. To give me some time to add features that people have already requested, I'm creating "no request periods". If you post a new request before Jan 29th, I'll delete it.

------------------
Craig Antill
10 Tenths Motorsport (1.1) - www.Ten-Tenths.com/links/
THE Directory (2.0b3) - www.gardenbuildings.com/beta/

[This message has been edited by Craig Antill (edited January 25, 1999).]
Quote Reply
I was going to post this in a couple days, but it seems relevant now.

An IndexFinger customer came to me wanting to try Links because of poor performance. Trouble was, he needed to convert his files over to Links format.

I created the script, did the conversion, and handed off the new database. The results were pretty incredible! With IndexFinger, his 4,000 link database:

- Took 2.5 MB of disk space.
- Required 6,500+ data files.
- Took 4 hours to build all the categories.
- Took 10-15 minutes to perform a search.

Once converted to Links:
- Took 1.2 MB of disk space.
- Required 4 data files.
- Took 10 minutes to build.
- Took 8-12 seconds to search.

Nuff said. Here's the script, I'd urge you to try it out now. Wink

http://gossamer-threads.com/...ource/convert.pl.txt

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Way to go alex :-) You do an incredible job at scripting. Again, great job :-)
Quote Reply

Quote:
Actually, I think he's supposed to be knocking it out quite cheap. Although I don't like his business practices, it does look a good program, and it can't be a copy of UBB - it's much too fast

With less then 100 messages. I would wait till you see a board with +1000 messages before saying the same thing..

Cheers,

Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex (edited January 25, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Now think of the performance gains if it was also in sql, instead of flat file!

I'm impressed Smile

--Mark

------------------
You can reach my by ICQ at UID# 8602162

Quote Reply

Quote:
With less then 100 messages. I would wait till you see a board with +1000 messages before saying the same thing..

Good point! Smile

Quote:
Tell me you're kidding!

Quote:
Does this guy have any original ideas?
hmmm, I don't know, but he is still a regular at the UBB forum! Although no longer a moderator Wink hehe!

------------------
Craig Antill
10 Tenths Motorsport (1.1) - www.Ten-Tenths.com/links/
THE Directory (2.0b3) - www.gardenbuildings.com/beta/
Quote Reply
  Thanks for the conversion script. I could have used it a few weeks ago. Frown But at least I'm using Links now! Smile

If you're on the IF "news" mailing list, you usually get at least one annoying message every week. He did send one talking about Ultimate Bulletin Board not meeting the needs of his customers and his need to write a similar forum script.

Does this guy have any original ideas?
Quote Reply
Alex,

You've done a kick ass job with Links. I don't like to cut on other people but the webmaster/scripter @ Indexfinger really doesn't have anything special. Links + UBB seem to be probably 2 of the most popular usable scripts out there. You've done a great job with Links, please keep it up.

Just my 2 cents.

------------------
I use to always think that I'd look back on us crying and laugh, but, I never thought I'd look back on us laughing and cry.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Quote Reply
Well Index Finger may not come close in comparison to Links. But, from early looks at this Big Talker script...it looks really good, a helluva lot faster, and more customizable than UBB . I think that's one of the problems w/ ubb..every ubb looks the same..you can tell a ubb from a mile. Even though UBB might have the bulletin board market on lock down..I still would be a little afraid. When i get ready for my bulletin board I will definitely check this one out.

Quote Reply
If your wanting just a straight bulletin board I would suggest Daryl's Burgoff's WebBBs at www.aswd.com . clean and very easy to set up. Capabilites of search, cookies and a admin feature, if you pay the fifty dollars.

I have their script at forums.wildwings.net/bbs/waterfowl_forum.pl

Oh yea! I love links. Now have close to 1000 links and over 1000 page views a day. Search is verrrry fast. Suggest everyone try it. Just wish I could fiqure out 2.0. Still playing with it.

Jerry

Love it!

[This message has been edited by Jerry (edited January 28, 1999).]
Quote Reply

Quote:
think that's one of the problems w/ ubb..every ubb looks the same..you can tell a ubb from a mile.

Heh. That's one of UBB's strengths! People are hesitant to participate in forums when every single one they visit looks different, uses different navigation, has different logon procedures, etc.

With UBB you can change the colors, fonts, headers and footers, features, etc., but the core elements of the system remain the same. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm at the point now where I don't want to bother with unique message systems on every web site. When I see UBB on a site, I jump right in.

Frankly, I find Big Talker to be less intuitive. And I've read enough feedback about the author that doing business with him would leave a bad taste in my mouth.
Quote Reply
Hey Alex,

I tried the script, and am getting the follow error:

Quote:
syntax error in file convert.pl at line 17, next 2 tokens "my $name "
syntax error in file convert.pl at line 22, next 2 tokens ") or"
syntax error in file convert.pl at line 23, next 2 tokens ") or"
syntax error in file convert.pl at line 32, next 2 tokens ") or"
syntax error in file convert.pl at line 36, next 2 tokens ") or"
syntax error in file convert.pl at line 37, next 2 tokens "chomp $input"
Spurious backslash ignored at convert.pl line 38.
syntax error in file convert.pl at line 38, next 2 tokens "/\|"
Search pattern not terminated in file convert.pl at line 38, next char ^?
syntax error in file convert.pl at line 49, next token "}"
Execution of convert.pl aborted due to compilation errors.

any idears?
Quote Reply
you're pointing to perl 4 instead of perl 5.

--mark

------------------
You can reach my by ICQ at UID# 8602162

Quote Reply
Hi Alex,

Your script is real good and fast. I have managed to convert the database in less than 5 minutes.

I have used IF but in less than a month, I finally encountered problem. The script use too much of system resources and it is definitely too slow. The worst thing is that it use too many files. Building pages take a long time and many users simply hammered by their ISP.

In the case with links, I can simply add many new categories by just editing the category.db and is very easy and fast.

Well done Alex.
Quote Reply
Well I don't know about all this. I am using index finger and it is a hell of a lot faster to set up and far easier than links. Links is has so many files for setup it's nuts.

As far as speed is concerned. I don't know, cuz my site is dead.

The indexfinger guy must be dong something right, or no one here would have heard of him

Mic
Quote Reply
and alex must be doing something right or you wouldn't be posting on this board! :~)

Quote:

An IndexFinger customer came to me wanting to try Links because of poor performance. Trouble was, he needed to convert his files over to Links format.

I created the script, did the conversion, and handed off the new database. The results were pretty incredible! With IndexFinger, his 4,000 link database:

Once converted to Links:
- Took 1.2 MB of disk space.
- Required 4 data files.
- Took 10 minutes to build.
- Took 8-12 seconds to search.

Nuff said. Here's the script, I'd urge you to try it out now.

just thought you might want to see how "great" indexfinger is..not! Smile

[This message has been edited by USFJoseph1 (edited March 06, 1999).]
Quote Reply
WOW!

I hardly ever come here, unless I need help which I guess is a good thing. Smile Seriously, I never thought that Joseph (IF) had created so many enemies! True though, I used IF for a while and soon found out that it wasn't what I was looking for. I ended up playing with his code a LOT to make it work for my needs and ended up just giving up. I actually happened upon Links. A friend of mine uses it. I ended up becoming a Links fan at 1.11 and have loved it since day one. There was a guy earlier in the thread that complained about setup. Well hehe... Nothing good is ever completely without a little elbow grease. Well worth the time spent.

Anyway, I figured everyone else and their mother had taken time to put in their two cents, so I should too. I'll be upgrading to 2.0 tonight. Can't wait to play with it!
Quote Reply
Just wanted to say that while looking for a script for my site, I had three to choose from: Links, Index Finger, and Hyperseek. While initially, I would've loved to go with Hyperseek, the cost was out of my league (and still is), and Index Finger didn't seem like what I was looking for. So, I went with Links. I am very happy with it, despite the numerous set-up files (which I had to change the line to Perl in each and every one!). I haven't upgraded to Links 2.0 yet since I haven't found the time to do so, and it has to be running perfectly before I totally change the site over.

Keep up the excellent work, Alex, and I'm looking forward to the SQL version!
Quote Reply
Alex or whoever can help:

I created CONVERT.PL and placed it in my Index Finger directory. I got the following:

Code:
syntax error in file convert.pl at line 17, next 2 tokens "my $name "
syntax error in file convert.pl at line 22, next 2 tokens ") or"
syntax error in file convert.pl at line 23, next 2 tokens ") or"
syntax error in file convert.pl at line 32, next 2 tokens ") or"
syntax error in file convert.pl at line 36, next 2 tokens ") or"
syntax error in file convert.pl at line 37, next 2 tokens "chomp $input"
Spurious backslash ignored at convert.pl line 38.
syntax error in file convert.pl at line 38, next 2 tokens "/\|"
Search pattern not terminated in file convert.pl at line 38, next char ^?
syntax error in file convert.pl at line 49, next token "}"
Execution of convert.pl aborted due to compilation errors.

That was after typing "perl convert.pl"... now, I also tried typing "perl5 convert.pl" (which I thought I'd try even though I installed perl 5.004.03 as my default perl) and got the following:

Code:
Missing $ on loop variable at convert.pl line 69.

I'm flummoxed. I'm not a big Perl guy so I don't quite know what to fool with in the script.

Help? Pleeeeease? Smile If you could e-mail me since I don't stop by here that often, I'd appreciate it.

------------------
Tony Johns (editor@autoracing.org)
I want to win. If I can't win, I won't run.
Chariots of Fire

[This message has been edited by Tony Johns (edited March 30, 1999).]
Quote Reply

Quote:
4.WebBBS (www.awds.com)
Good Forum with many function and its FREE.
However I hate the look of this forum. Don't know why?

It is no longer free. It is shareware ($50.00 I believe).
Quote Reply
IF.. heemmm never heard of it before. But I went straight to his place to check them out. I believe UBB and BT have something similar even though hard for me to tell the different, unless someone can show me the script.

I don't want to give my judgement yet. But this is one reasone why IF is faster... NO GRAPHIX and LESS USER. >;(

If IF really copying UBB then UBB need to sue the guy. He is a discrace over the CGI community.

Anyway for me here is the list of TOP 5 Forum

1. DCForum (www.dcscripts.com)
Awesome Admin tools, graphix, and support pack with tons of features and now being translated into several language. Excellent price.
2. UBB (www.ultimatebb.com
Easy Installation, great admin tools, pack with features + hack, have a several different language. Pricey though.
3. WWWThreads (www.wwwthreads.org)
The fastest forum running, a must for a high traffics websites. FREE however you must have MySQL and expert on CGI. Otherwise there is no way you can install them
4.WebBBS (www.awds.com)
Good Forum with many function and its FREE.
However I hate the look of this forum. Don't know why?
5. Matt Wright (www.worldwidemart.com/scripts)
The first and the most simple forum ever created. Running in 5 minutes. Which is also fast and flexible with add-ons this would be almost as par as the commercial version.

regards,
King Richard Designs
http://www.krdesigns.com
Quote Reply
----------------------------------
Just wanted to say that while looking for a script for my site, I had three to choose from: Links, Index Finger, and Hyperseek. While initially, I would've loved to go with Hyperseek, the cost was out of my league (and still is), and Index Finger didn't seem like what I was looking for.
-----------------------------------

Hello,

so what then you cgi-guys can say about
the Hyperseek ?

-Automatic INSTALL
-NO FILES to EDIT
-FREE Lifetime UPGRADES
-One CLICK UPGRADES
-FAST Page BIULT
-SUPER FAAAST SEARCH (iWEB module)
-PLUGINS style moduls
-SUPERB Integration
-and so on...

I am not using it, just wondering to choose yours or Hyper....

When reading your posts I think:

There are ONLY 3 well known link SRIPTS:

LINKS
IF
Hyperseek

It is obvious that owner of LINKS or even
programist of it will tell that others are JUNK!

It's called a COMPETITION :-)

Maybe you do more of it to IF because it's
cheap and Hyperseek is pretty for the beginning.

Many of you are saying: "so what that I nedded to spend hours setting "LINKS" up - it is fun", but maybe not for everyone.

Time is money and FUNCTIONALITY and EASY setup and MAINTANCE counts.

It looks that Hyperseek delivers ALL that and looks like a most advanced link script for not small but reasonable money.

So... what do you think about Hyperseek just
compare its "NO WORK" for admin design.

Arek

P.S. My English is like it is. Sorry.

------------------
> >