Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Uh-oh, my database just died!

Quote Reply
Uh-oh, my database just died!
All was working fine. I added a few more links and performed "Build All," only to notice that an error arose at record 55. Here's the message it gives:

Updating New and Popular Records . . .
Warning: No date for line: 55|Washington St| | | | | | | |No|No| | |. Skipping..

I had about 330 links entered, and the last build was performed with no problems around 320 or 325. I don't know what suddenly happened.

I was able to get a different error message one of the times I tried rebuilding it, something about "database is zero bytes," but I can't duplicate it.

My last backup appears to be at about 294 links, so I imagine I could resort to that if need be (and try to remember what was added after that. Frown ). I don't recall seeing documentation on how exactly to do that, but I could be wrong. Do you just rename the backup file with a .db extension?

*edited... Never mind, I answered my own question about rebuilding from the backup. That step is easy. : Wink

Has anyone had similar problems? If so, can the backup be set to something more frequent than daily, i.e. every time you perform a build?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Dan

[This message has been edited by Dan Kaplan (edited April 14, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Re: Uh-oh, my database just died! In reply to
Here's a little more info, equally troubling... I had downloaded a copy of my links.db and url.db databases two days ago, just to be safe (fortunate timing). Looking at the bad files from today, they both end with record 55. No surprises here, #55 is the entry that got corrupted when the file was somehow cut off.

The problem I noticed is that the backup I downloaded on the 12th shows 258 records in url.db and 271 records in links.db. Both were downloaded at the same time and were based off the same build. Shouldn't the number of records match (I spot checked individual records and they lined up)?

What happens after a link is entered in the admin section and before a build is done? Is it the "add link" or the "build all" that places it in the database? I imagine the build only affects the category pages and the like.

Could this be related to the problems mentioned with regards to the nph-build.cgi script?

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: Uh-oh, my database just died! In reply to

Quote:
What happens after a link is entered in the admin section and before a build is done? Is it the "add link" or the "build all" that places it in the database? I imagine the build only affects the category pages and the like.

When you add a link from the admin section, it is placed directly into links.db. It will not go into url.db until the pages are rebuilt. So you can have more records in links.db then you have in url.db between builds.

The same is true when a user adds a record. The record goes into validate.db until you validate it, then it is moved to links.db but still will not appear in url.db until you rebuild the pages.

I hope this helps.