Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Too many links per category

Quote Reply
Too many links per category
I use Links2 and I have specified in the links.cfg file that the maximum number of links per category is 350. However when I build all it happily keeps on adding links so I now have categories with 385 linksUnsure. What to do what to do ??

Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: [JanTM] Too many links per category In reply to
There isn't an option for the number of links per categoriy - you must have a modified version?
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Too many links per category In reply to
Okay just checked. It is not exactly a number of links per category... it is a number of links per page. In my links.cfg file I have the following

# Number of links per page.
$build_links_per_page = 350;

Does that mean that although some categories have more than 350 links only 350 will be displayed when I build the pages ?

To my knowledge my script is not modifiedSmile
Quote Reply
No it means it will put 350 links on each page....probably not a good idea.
Quote Reply
Re: [RedRum] Too many links per category In reply to
Then what happens to the rest of the links if there are more than 350? I don't use the feature to split a category over more than 1 page - so they definitely don't go on page 2 Wink

I had sort of assumed that it would display the 350 newest links and simply delete the rest from the database thereby leaving me with only fresh and new links. I see now that this is not what is going on. But thanks a lot for clarifying that for me Smile
Quote Reply
The links should increment to the next spanning page. And, no, the links are not automatically deleted from the database.

Links by default are sorted by the following:

1) isPopular
2) isNew
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Heckler] Too many links per category In reply to
Yes... but I don't have my links spanned over several pages - so apparently it just puts all the links on the first page totally ignoring the number of links per page I have specified in the links.cfg file. I just tried to set the max number to 75 links per page... still I have pages of 400 linksFrown
Quote Reply
Turn on the spanning option and the rest of the links will show up on the next page.

And from an end-user's perspective, downloading 350 links per category page is quite intensive in terms of download time. Also from a user's perspective, having that many categories is intensive on the build process.

You should really consider improving the organization of your resource directory.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me