Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Template Problems - Netc/Explor.

Quote Reply
Template Problems - Netc/Explor.
Hi!
I'm having a problem building pages. The pages build successfully, but the templates are all wrong, and very different. Some pages build correctly. Some do not. Some look correct in IE, very few do in Netscape.
Some links appear with a description but no site title.
On some pages, the 'Pages updated on...' line appears at the top of the page.
On some pages, a link will appear at the top of the page and the description at the bottom....

Any ideas? I am using templates, not Perl. I built the template with FP 98, and then edited the HTML in a text editor.

Using IE 5.0 and Netsc 4.7, this page is correct:
http://www.stagespecs.com/links/Theatres/

On IE 5.0, this page is close, on Netscape it is not at all:
http://www.stagespecs.com/links/Production_Companies/

All of the pages were built with the same category.html template.

You can browse around the directory from:
http://www.stagespecs.com/links/
(this home page was built manually, not via the template)

Thanks in advance for the help,
Ross Valenti
www.stagespecs.com

Quote Reply
Re: Template Problems - Netc/Explor. In reply to
The reason is the CSS file. Delete all CSS references and use your own alignment and font codes...and the look and feel will be consistent between browsers.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
I don't use the style sheets...I have deleted the call to the file at the beginning of the template and I have also deleted all of the 'class=""' references in the html file.

Any other ideas?

Quote Reply
Betcha ya didn't delete the CSS reference codes in the site_html_templates.pl file.

Wink

Yea...learn some HTML coding.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
You are correct...there were 2 class references in the build_category section..I HAD checked the file, but missed the references...BUT, that didn't help either.....;)

Because I only experience the problem on some (albeit most) of the category pages, I downloaded the categories.db file and opened it in Access...I re-ordered and created new index numbers for each category, and I changed categoryid to reflect the changes. I then re-built the pages, and most of the pages came out correct..there are still a few categories that were created incorrectly....but it's much better.

Am I on the right track here? Can the categories.db file get corrupted by deleting and adding subcategories? And if it is corrupted, would it mess up the build? If so, what should i look for specifically in the data file?

(BTW, although I'm no expert, I'm also no slacker on coding)

-Ross

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Because I only experience the problem on some (albeit most) of the category pages, I downloaded the categories.db file and opened it in Access...I re-ordered and created new index numbers for each category, and I changed categoryid to reflect the changes. I then re-built the pages, and most of the pages came out correct..there are still a few categories that were created incorrectly....but it's much better.
Seems like unnecessary step to me.

In Reply To:
Am I on the right track here? Can the categories.db file get corrupted by deleting and adding subcategories? And if it is corrupted, would it mess up the build? If so, what should i look for specifically in the data file?
Possibly...if you have deleted subcategories and you had links in them...you need to update your links by using the Check Cat function in the admin.cgi file.

In Reply To:
(BTW, although I'm no expert, I'm also no slacker on coding)
Well...I was provided a legitimate piece of advice...learning and knowing HTML like the back of your hand will put you in a better situation to edit CGI/PERL scripts to make the output look the way you want.

Wink

Also, since you are using Front Page 98 to create your Template files...you need to make sure that the tags are on separate lines in your template files, like the following:

Code:
<%if category%>
<Ętegory%>
<%endif%>
There is a FAQ that outines solving problems with Tags in the Resource Center.

Regards,

Eliot Lee