Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

System Resources

(Page 1 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
System Resources
The web host I am planning on using Links on says it does not permit "Sites using more than 30% of system resources for longer than 60 seconds." Could Links possibly use that much system resources? i plan on having thousands if not millions of sites listed so take that into consideration when answering. Also can anyone recommend a webhost that I will not have a problem running Links on? Thanks a million!
Ps-Plan on using Links 2.0 and LinksSQL when site gets bigger.
Quote Reply
Re: System Resources In reply to
Hi,
I really don't think that a host will allow any more CPU ussage than that. Links can and will take up more CPU ussage mostly on searching and building the pages. A $10 or $15 host will not let you do what you want. If you have this many visitors and websites listed, I am sure you can afford a $999 server and $150 - $300/month for connection. This will allow you to use as much system resources as needed, and will let you install database systems like oracle.

------------------
Have Fun,

Jimz
Quote Reply
Jimz,
I think you kinda misunderstood me. I don't have a million sites listed (yet) but hopefully I can achieve that number. I'm just trying to find out how many links it will approx. take to actually use 30% system resources. As the site gets bigger I'm sure I won't have a problem paying for my own server like you say. Awaiting your response...
Quote Reply
30% of resources.. hmm.. the last time i remember someone said they took up 36% of the resources at like 2000.. but i don't know

jerry
Quote Reply
I have an account with Communitech and they don't like the Links script at all! They said I can use it as long as I don't use up more than 20% of system resources or I will be suspended without warning. I can't rely on this for hosting anymore. So is it true that you pretty much have to have a dedicated server in order to run Links 2.0 successfully without account suspension anywhere? I saw where Gossamer-Threads has a link to a provider that will provide you SQL hosting for Links SQL. And it even sounds like they have a site wide license for use of the script. Does anyone know if this is true.

The only problem is that it costs about $700 to get setup with the provider.

Quote Reply
You don't necessarily need to have a dedicated server. I have a regular virtual account with www.web2010.com and they have not threatened suspension, however, they do encourage clients to use MySQL over flat file databases.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
Damb, that host's site loads fast. Eliot, there is a certin margin that a host will kick you. Appearnly your site has not reached that. How many vistors and links do you have on your site? Now as I see the specs for the accounts, they are not that great afterall. 50Mb of Space for 24.95. Not to be mean or anything, but I seen much better deals than that. http://www.tera-byte.com/ where I will be hosting with, has much better deals. I know the Host from several message boards, allot of people are very happy with his other free services, and I am sure they feel the same about the hosting part. There could be better specs, but now I am getting off topic. webminds, alex has partnered with some webhost to provide the hosting setup. It is expensive, because there is less then 15 people on the server compaired to the 500 you find on a virtual host. Links comes full setup on it, so it is easy to get started. I do not know about the $700 fee, as I have my own hosting anyway.

------------------
Have Fun,

Jimz
Quote Reply
JimZ...

Web2010 is one of the best hosting companies and ISP on the market.

My site receives over 5000 visitors per day and the site that uses LINKS receives over 1000 unique visitors per day. I have over 2,400 links.

Web2010 offers a lot of great stuff for the $29.95 per month. Take a closer look at all the stuff that you get with that. It also hosts MySQL tables for accounts.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
info@anthrotech.com
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
i used to be with web2010.. until one day KABOOM! [down for a week straight]

i forgot their reason.. but i remember they were not contactable for the whole time.. i had thought they had went on vacation Wink

also.. communitech has suspended plenty of accounts.. they had suspended 123webmaster.com because of webadverts taking alot of space.. 123webmaster.com uses links2b5.. but for some reason never got suspended over that.. that proves webadverts takes much more resources than links..

just fyi.. you can't go on with links2.. you have to go to links sql at some point.. if you are big enough to kill links2 then you are just the perfect person to go to links sql.. i really dunno why people try and find a work around.. it's sorta silly.. i know that flatfiles will just die.. that is why i don't really want to make review.cgi 2 for links2.. it will die reading links.db.. (or at least make it REALLY slow)..

now that i have links sql.. i have found many more advantages.. you can have many many databases.. and sorta have like one database for each category and it's subcategories.. (enabling you to have different fields)

making more of something.. is never cheap

jerry
Quote Reply
Does anyone have any bad reviews about addr.com? I use webadverts on coomunitech too and didn't know they suspend for that too. They promise all this great service and then when you start to get results they suspend you! My plan is to release with links2.0 then have a disaster plan to goto linksSQL as soon as I reach 4,000 links. At that time I don't want to lose visitors due to speed issues.
Quote Reply
Eliot, I forgot to ask, does your links program with all the links use up much disk space, is the 50mb adequate enough?
Quote Reply
I am awaiting an email from World-Market and will probably go with them and use LinkSQL. It will cost close to $1000.00 though at least I know they fully support it and provided shared space with only 15 other accounts. They also have a site license that waives the $450 fee. I am making sure the last is true from their expected email.

I know it takes money to make money, I was wanting to know about addr.com too because I have another site I want to start that won't take up much system resources. And they set you up in minutes, (with an IP address until Domain is transferred).
Quote Reply
sorry i refreshed page and my message got sent again - duplicate
Quote Reply
I agree with Jimz that Tera-Byte is very good. I have had a site on Spaceports for a while (a free server) and the guy that runs that runs Tera-Byte. He is very cool, and will give you a good deal.

------------------
Michael Bray
Review your webhost, or find a new one at http://www.webhostarea.com

Quote Reply
I am awaiting an email from World-Market and will probably go with them and use LinkSQL. It will cost close to $1000.00 though at least I know they fully support it and provided shared space with only 15 other accounts. They also have a site license that waives the $450 fee. I am making sure the last is true from their expected email.

I know it takes money to make money, I was wanting to know about addr.com too because I have another site I want to start that won't take up much system resources. And they set you up in minutes, (with an IP address until Domain is transferred).
Quote Reply
webminds,

Here is the following disk usage of my LINKS program:

1) Links Directory: 16 MGs
2) cgi-bin Directory: 2.3 MGs

(Note: I have over 350 Categories/Sub-Categories in my Links Directory.)

So, basically, 50 MGs would be just fine. I have the Premium Account with an additional 40 MGs of disk space. So, I have a total of 70 MGs of disk space at my disposal.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
info@anthrotech.com
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
addr.com is good.. but i like digitalspace.net better.. they actually have the support for MySQL (free)..

also.. they have a 99% uptime guarantee.. but the thing is that i have heard complaints recently about how hard it is to signup.. (the support is great.. and the support guy said that they are installing another server.. and are backlogged on the signups or something like that)

anyways.. why start with something if you know it's not gonna work.. i think you should start with Links SQL.. not go with a "disaster plan" Smile

it's like saying.. I know that building is going to fall on me.. I'll keep standing here until it falls on me then I will run away..

if it's the money.. then why are you making the site? if you make the site.. there should be a profit motive.. right? it's business you have to make an investment..

jerry
Quote Reply
Hi Folks,
I've spent the past month working on my templates for Links, and after reading this thread I am feeling a bit concerned. I did not realize that the Links script is likely to use a lot of system resources. This is the first time I have run across this information.

I plan to run Links 2 and the UBB on the same site, and planned to run a second install of the Links script on the same site so that I could have it set up as a reciprocal links area, plus I also planned to install Web Adverts across the entire site. After reading the posts here it sounds to me like I am asking for problems?

My database of links that I will be importing into Links 2 (for my regular links area) currently is only around 150k or so.
The reciprocal links area would be for band listings (with a mod for checking the reciprocal links), which I imagine if the site becomes at all popular could become a fairly large database...

Is there any way to have all these functions on the site without running into resource usage problems down the raod? How?

Should I be looking into less proceesor intensive scripts for banner ads and my reciprocal links area? The appeal of using Links 2 is that it automates a lot of the administration.

It seems like going with the MySQL version would be overkill for the current size of my Links database. I have read posts from some of you saying that the MySql version is not as good for a small database. Also I now have a ton of time invested in setting up templates and other formatting features in the regular Links 2 script. How much of this work would be lost in a transfer to MySql Links?

Although I bought the Links license so that I could remove the by-lines, my site is primarliy public service. It is not likely to be a big money earner... so dedicated servers and such are out of the question.

I am currently hosted with pair networks and my account has 120 megs disk space and 12,000 megs a month bandwidth allowance.

Any thoughts from more experienced users?

After what I read here I feel that I should scale back my plans until I see how things go with a minimal set up, which is a bit disappointing. I've been working on the comcept and execution of this site for the past year, and only found this information now. Yikes.

Newbie hell.
Thanks,
-V

[This message has been edited by V Silly (edited October 22, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Cost Of web provider:? $19.95 a month

An offer usually offered to samll business sites or people pages that probably will never reach system resource overloads or anywhere near its boundry.

A management thought. in 2 parts

PART 1
------

If your not atleast making what it costs to host your web site per month after 1 year, why would you build a guide? If your not making 19.95 a month off affiliate programs, or what have you; why are you building the directory?

Actually if your not making a bit better than that, why are you building the directory? It will cost you to link to others. Why?

LinksSQL in reality is the tool to use. My site currently has about 700 links on it and on Links2, however my site indexes "official sites" only of the Arts & Entertainment and Music industry and their professionals thereof,,,, and so I wonder how big it will really get with that limitation in its "originality" by how it's being built.

Part 2
------

If what your creating/building is "original" and not a copy cat directory, then a few year investment may be worth the tread so long as the site shows signs of growth by a $ign we're all familiar with $$$.

Got to use your heads folks, Yahoo already exists and so does ODP and the rest and so you best be creating a "specific dedicated directory" or it's not going to be worth your sweat.

Starting out on a $19.95 per month plan may be fine but don't get comfortable.

1,000,000 hits per month/per day vs $$$$,,, need a scale to see if it's worth it. (which I know someone who has this high traffic site making only his cost for all his hosting and connections with 500.00 per month for himself by affiliate programs only)Still to close of a call :-) at 1,000,000 hits per month.

and at last; if your in it for big money, you best have a product of your own or you might as well just build a web page and check the mail once a month and get on with life.

Gerardo
Quote Reply
if you are expecting to have a big directory.. use links sql.. if you know your directory will only have like a few hundred sites.. go with links 2..

12 gb of bandwidth is alot.. (well.. when put next to my 2.5 gb).. but still.. you may not feel the bandwidth being used.. most of the bandwidth comes from searching.. more and more memory is used as your linksdb get bigger.. sooner or later.. the script will not respond anymore..

Links SQL is not as easy as links 2.. the code is perfect though.. cause it uses strict.. it will run stably.. that is why making mods for it is harder..

I have installed Links SQL myself because i didn't get Links SQL the way everyone else probably did.. it did take some time.. but got easier and easier as i corrected my mistakes..

anyways.. i don't think there should be much hesitation in choosing links sql.. it's probably cause it costs too much.. ?

jerry
Quote Reply
web2010 down for a week?

Ive been with them for 2 years and can't recall them being down ever!

must have been the machine your site was on.

--mark
Quote Reply
jerry wrote:
anyways.. i don't think there should be much hesitation in choosing
links sql.. it's probably cause it costs too much.. ?
=======================================

Well, partly the cost, but also because I really am a beginner, and Links 2 has already challenged me quite a lot.
This last month has been an excruciating struggle to understand how to get my templates looking the way I want them. I am a graphic artist, not a programmer.
On the other hand I would feel a lot more comfortable basing my site on a script that I know will be able to handle whatever I throw at it. Just not sure I am up to the challenge of working with the SQL version.
Plus I saw in the SQL forum they are grumbling that the search feature is not as good?
If I get my Links 2 templates done and have my pages working the way I want them, how difficult is it to transfer over to SQL? What parts of the process require me to have programming knowledge? If I have someone knowledgeable install and configure it for me, will I be set to go, or will other issues arise that I lack the knowledge to handle?
Thanks,
-V
Quote Reply
from what i understand.. you are having problems with HTML.. not PERL..

search.cgi is better than links 2's.. except that people expect more out of it cause it uses SQL's powerful queries..

if you were to edit the HTML templates.. you should run into no problems.. the CGI is what you will run into problems with.. if HTML is hard for you.. you can try using a WYSIWYG editor.. (what you see is what you get).. all you need to do is drag and drop and type.. it does the HTML for you..

also.. if you needed to edit the perl code.. you can ask people in the forum.. most likely you will get what you want done.. not in the best time possible.. but at least you'll get it done..

jerry
Quote Reply
The thing with links2 is two-fold.

Managing Your Web Site
----------------------

1. You can't allow site owners to write a biography about their web site. They have to get to the point. If your worried about system resouces during a search then limit your description to 100 characters #1. Less work for the engine I beleive????

2. Indexing is not an easy game, we must learn to break down the categories and be real specific according to a web sites content.

Starting from your top category, it's going to be easier to build (vs) system reources if the category is not submerged with links. If it is, time to get picky and break the categories down even further. :-)

Along with category building, try doing a "build All" during the wee hours, or a staggard build. End of # 2

-----------
The Egine
-----------
If your web site is well managed and used alot, the engine will use alot of systems resources. But, if your site is well managed
you will progress to links SQL and it will most likely become your full livihood.

Talked to my ISP who stated, "your web site would have to be on the RUN
(lots & lots of hits & searches to run into that problem)

If your not getting 15,000 hits per day, you don't have nothing to worry about for now.

Gerardo
Quote Reply
Hey guys,
Thanks for the resource management tips. My directory will be extremely targeted to a very small niche market in a specific field, so it may actually stay pretty small. Guess I'll go with Links 2 for now, do my best to conserve resource usage, and tackle the SQL issue down the road...
Best,
-V
> >