Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Strange search problem

Quote Reply
Strange search problem
Well this doesn't make sense. Ok, I'm pretty sure this was working before. Here is the problem I'm having. Let's say one of my listings has the word 'shopping' in the title and the word 'cd' in the description. You would assume that typing in cd shopping would pull up that listing...right? For some reason it does not come up? The first thing I did was made sure that both of these field numbers were added for searching, and sure enough they are! Any ideas where I could start looking for the problem?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Strange search problem In reply to
Yeah, that's the strange part, I haven't actually changed anything....I've always been using the default mode?? That's what I can't figure out! Then only thing I've added recently is Bmxers redirect mode if no terms are found....actually when I search for those terms it will redirect me as if there are no keywords for shopping and cd?? Any other clues?

Thanks
Quote Reply
The problem is related to the Boolean options. To make sure that you have values show up in one field OR another, you need to use the following hidden field in your search form codes located in your template files:

Code:
<input type="hidden" name="bool" value="or">

BTW: The default option in the search engine is the AND boolean connector option, which means it will search for values in one field AND another.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------

Quote Reply
Any suggestions as to where I should look for the problem?

Thank You
Quote Reply
Well, the problem is with the redirection codes. You will notice that if you revert back to the original search.cgi script that the problem should be remedied. You probably have the redirection codes in the wrong section of your search.cgi file.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
----------------------

Quote Reply
That's what I thought it might have been, so I replaced the search.cgi with my old one, and now it just goes to the no results page that I was using previously?? What the heck could be wrong here?
Quote Reply
Try using my earlier suggestion of using the hidden bool field for or! Did you even try using those codes???

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Eliot,

Thanks for the reply, however I'm not looking for it to search OR, I want it to search all fields as the default and as I have it setup. The problem is, is that it is not searching all fields. If I setup my search form with
<input type="hidden" name="bool" value="or">
as you suggested, then it will not be a correct search, because it will pull up anything with shopping and anything with cd, and I ONLY want it to pull up listings with both keywords. There is no need for me to setup my main search as you suggested because my advance search is setup where they can search with AND or OR and I've already tested that. Any other ideas what could cause this to happen? I do have the search fields selected here:

@search_fields = (1,2,5,18,20,21);

1 being title, 2 being url, 5 being description the other three are additional fields I've added...do I have too many? I haven't a clue what else it could be!!
Quote Reply
You can add as many fields as you want to the @search array. Welp, I don't know what your problem is...may be some other people can help you.

Good luck!

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Thanks for trying Eliot! Is there anyone that might be able to make a suggestion?
Quote Reply
Well after doing some digging around on other sites, it seems that some work and some don't! I tried three sites found in the resource center and none of them will pull up results using one word from the title and one word from the description (using the AND). I also tried the demo here and it does work, and also Eliot I tried yours and it seems to search the title and description also and pull the results! What's up??
Quote Reply
hi domenic,

did you find the problem with your search?
if you have any solution for the problem it would be nice if you could post it for we ran into the same problem.
ciao
niko

http://www.master-productions.com
Quote Reply
Umm....Ok...I'll follow up for ya! Links will search across fields, however it will not match across fields. I'm not really sure what your question is, so........
Solution, well there's a few things you could do.

1) Set-up a seperate field for keywords only or use the priority mod which comes with keyword options........it's located in the resource center.

2) Weight the listings by modifying the sort routing in the nphbuild.cgi file (works for what I'm doing)

3) As Eliot suggested, use the "or" option, either by a hidden field in your search form <input type=hidden bool=or> or just create input fields so the user can select how to search: For radio buttons just use something like this:
<input type=radio name=bool value=or><input type=radio name=bool value=and>

4) GT just opened a new forum for "custom jobs", make a request there and I'm sure someone would be happy to create a mod (for a fee of course) with additional boolean options.

Like I said, I'm not sure what your question is, but hope this helps.

Quote Reply
thanks for your quick reply. the point is that we have
the same problem that you mentioned in here. the field
description contains a word and the field contact name
or title contains a word. you can search for every single word but you cannot find both of them. would be nice if
you could tell me if no. 2 did solve the problem for you

thank you
niko

Quote Reply
Unfortunately, no......it did not fix searching across fields, sorry I couldn't be of more help. Sorting the links pretty much fixed my problem, so I didn't look into adding that....but maybe someone else came up with a solution. Best of luck.

Quote Reply
o.k.
but thanks for your fast replies
ciao
niko

Quote Reply
Re: [Domenic] Strange search problem In reply to
hallo domenic

did you find a solution for the 'strange search problem'

i read the 2 threads to this theme, but it seems that nobody understand this problem

obi