Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Strange Message ??!!!

Quote Reply
Strange Message ??!!!
Hi

Can anyone help?

I have suddenly recieved this strange message when trying to Quick Check validate my links: Proxy Reports: 10060 Connection timed out
The web server specified in your URL could not be contacted. Please check your URL or try your request again.

This error could have been caused by:
  • Bad / misspelled URL
  • Following an invalid link
  • Your network connection and/or transient conditions on the Internet
  • Load conditions on the web server.

What it doesn't tell me is WHERE the URL is incorrect and which one, and how I should change it.

If my server company recently changed the module Net::FTP could this have affected it, and if so where should I get the right module to get the links programme working again?

A very technical question - but any help would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks

snow
Quote Reply
Re: [snowball] Strange Message ??!!! In reply to
http://google.yahoo.com/...ut&hc=0&hs=0

http://wso.williams.edu/...ora-error-10060.html (related to Eudora but gives reasons for the error)

As for your second question, no Net::FTP isn't used to verify links.

Last edited by:

Paul: Jul 17, 2002, 3:09 AM
Quote Reply
Quick Check? I've never seen that menu item in Links SQL. You may be using Links 2.0 flat file.

EIther way, it seems like the problem is that the script is running too long and the server stopped its execution. You may want to talk to you admins about this to see if they can allow the script to run for an extended amount of time - so it can finish its execution.

HA! I see Paul already got to the punch before I did Wink

Last edited by:

Aki: Jul 17, 2002, 3:10 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Aki] Strange Message ??!!! In reply to
Moved To Links2 also :)
Quote Reply
Re: [Aki] Strange Message ??!!! In reply to
Hi

Thanks for your answer - but what would cause it it take too long to respond, and how do I make it respond quicker.

Is it that there are too many links (only about 300) in the system, and couldn't there be a way of processing some links, and then some more, and then some more ... rather than all at the same time?

I don't quite understand what I ACTUALLY have to do to put this right....

Would appreciate a detailed reply ...

Thanks

snow
Quote Reply
What's happening is that the script is trying to connect and verify every link in your database. Each link can take as short as .5 secs or as long as 60, depending on your link to the (non)existing server. There really is no way of making it work faster since the script is at the mercy of internet latency and other things it has no control over.

Batch processing of the link items is not possible unless you modify the script. Yep, Links SQL has a verification system that has crash recovery but links 2.0 doesn't have that luxury. Unsure

What you may be able to do is if you have access to telnet, login and run the script nph-verify.cgi. You'll have to cd into your admin directory and run it by doing something like:

Code:
perl nph-verify.cgi > output.txt

Make sure you do the output.txt. If you don't all the information will just scroll on by. Then when the script is done, just download the output.txt file using something like FTP and you can see what the statuses of your links are.

Last edited by:

Aki: Jul 17, 2002, 3:30 AM