Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Someone PLEASE help!

Quote Reply
Someone PLEASE help!
I have tried to get an answer for this on 3 seperate occasions for over a month now in the modification forum but either nobody knows the answer, or nobody wants to give it. I know it can be done, because I have seen it. On this script too.

I now have my links set up to sort randomly.
Will someone please tell me how to sort them alphabetically and to have them rotate on a daily basis? or hourly. Either one will work.
As I said earlier, I know it can be done because Ive seen it. So if someone would please help me, I would appreciate it.
Quote Reply
Re: Someone PLEASE help! In reply to
I thought you got an answer in http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...um3/HTML/001796.html ???
Quote Reply
Bobsie,

That was an answer to a different question
That was sorting randomly. Believe me, I checked that thread before posting here.
Then I asked for a follow up on my current issues, which are to sort alphabetically and to rotate ALPHABETICALLY. Either daily or hourly. Not randomly. So no, that thread does not answer my question.

If anyone else has an answer, please post.
I know Ive seen this done
Quote Reply
I remember a discussion on it before as well but I haven't been able to find it using search.

Anyway, can you clarify what you mean by rotating them?
Quote Reply
Hi Bobsie,

Ill try to clarify a little better.

What I want to do instead of them sorting randomly on each build...
I want them to be in alphabetical order, and then rotate 1 letter each day..like so.

Monday the link list starts with the letter A
Tuesday, the link list starts with the letter B
Wed...C and so on

I would like to have them rotate automatically, or they could be done on each build.(daily)which ever one is easier, but I would like them to be an alphabetical rotation

I have alot of links in various categories, and the result I am trying to achieve, is to give all sites an oppurtunity to be near the top.

I know I have discussed sorting before, but I never got any feedback for this particular situation. I even did searches to see if other people had asked the same question because I know it is annoying to have to answer the same ones over and over.

Thanks in advance for your help
Quote Reply
Thanks for the clarification. Hopefully, some kind sole will be able to assist... regretfully, I am not all that proficient on how the sorting routine works.
Quote Reply
Thanks Bobsie,

I do hope some kind sole will help this poor sole, because Im not proficient with any of this

However I am working on it, and I have been able to make a few custom features just by trial and error. I figure the more I dive the more Ill understand. Although I am at a total loss on this one
Quote Reply
On a related sorting issue, if anyone has a mod for allowing the "what's new" page to sort by #votes or rating, rather than by category & number, I'd like to see it Smile

It's a bit more complex, if you want to keep the category name with each item. I'm sure someone has done it....