Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Some simple questions?

Quote Reply
Some simple questions?
1. I got everything going on NT. I would like to take out the ability to modify an existing link.

2. How do I remove the phrase about "just play around." Do I need to use a new template before building pages?

Thanks,

John
Quote Reply
Re: Some simple questions? In reply to
Great. Worked liek a charm.

I noticed the fine piece of code which gives the site a yahoo appearance. I installed it and it looks great.

Then I started thinking about adding these cutomizations iin.

1. What if a new version of links becomes available. Will the yahoo templates need to be upgraded?

2. Does the installation of the yahoo templates prcelude the use of the new template.pm ?

Thanks,

John Cesta

------------------

http://www.cybersmarts.net
-------------------------------------------------
ColdFusion ASP and ActiveState PERL Hosting
10 Domains $49.95
100% Browser Based Administration
e-Commerce - AbleCommerce Builder
---------------------------------
Voice: 561-795-3531
FAX: 561-795-0489
info@cybersmarts.net
Quote Reply
1) Simply delete all references to the modify.cgi files in your template files or in the sub-routines in the site_html.pl file depending on if you are using templates or not...Then delete the modify.cgi file from your server.

2) You need to edit the Template files to remove this statement.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------

Quote Reply
1) Gossamer Threads will not be releasing a new version of the flat file version of LINKS. They are consumed with upgrading and enhancing the SQL version. Both the regular version of LINKS and LINKS SQL use template files. You will need to re-code the site_html_template.pl to work with SQL if you decide to "upgrade" to LINKS SQL.

2) Yes...The Enhanced Template.pm came out after the Yahoo Template Mod.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
----------------------

Quote Reply
Eliot,

In your opinioin, what would be the way to go for me. I mean I really like the LINKS program as it is and I like the yahoo version template. Right now I don't see a need for any more bells and whistles.

But, from a technical point of view (I am not a PERL programmer, I mess with it but I look for PERL programs which run "off-the-shelf") would it be better for me to keep LINKS generic (just use it out of the box. Lose the yahoo templates) and be able to install the fixes and updates...like the template.pm. Or, if I keep the yahoo templates am I going to be OK?

We use ColdFusion and iHTML here. I know about upgrading, updating, enhancing etc.

John Cesta
Quote Reply
Short and quick answer...

DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT! Use the Template files!

Quote:
bells and whistles.

Ah...if you ever think that your database will exceed 5,000 links and also 1.0 MG size for the database files, then you will need the bells and whistles to handle your LINKS project.

Wink

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
----------------------