Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Site bogging down...how to optimize?

Quote Reply
Site bogging down...how to optimize?
Hi folks,
I have had my Links site up and running a few months at http://www.geeknoize.com/audio_links/, and have been adding to the directory.
The main problem is that the links home page has started to take quite a while to load. I set it up using the Yahoo style cats mod so that all categories show on the main page, but it seems as though I am giving the script too much info that must be reloaded each time the page is accessed. I am wondering if it would speed things up if I used many small categories at the top level, instead of showing this info via the Yahoo cats mod...?
I notice that smaller categories load much more quickly, so I would like your advice on the best way to divide up the info for the best performance?
Thanks!!!!
-V
Quote Reply
Re: Site bogging down...how to optimize? In reply to
I don't know what you mean by slow...It loaded under 10 seconds with a 50.000 bps connection. It will load slower with 28.000 bps or even 14.000 bps. But comparably, it loads pretty quick, IMHO.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Hi Eliot,
:-)
It used to load much more quickly, and yes I am on a 28.8 modem...
I got used to the very snappy performance in the early stages, and I am worried that the site is less pleasant to use than it was. The ten second load time feels kind of sluggish since the user must navigate back to this page repeatedly...
I am assuming based on the load time of my smaller categories that the lag is caused by the amount of data I am trying to show on the main page.
Ultimately I just wnat to give the users the best possible experience in terms of ease of use.
-V
Quote Reply
Well, I don't think it is really that big of a deal, since your site is not graphic intensive...

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Hi again,
If possible I would still like to make the links home page load more quickly.
Please advise whether the following would help:
Since I currently use the Yahoo cat mod to create the subcategory listings on my links home page, I assume this involves cgi resources?
If so, would the page load more quickly if I used regular html links entered in the category description fields to create the subcats instead? I believe I saved a post that said this could be done...
Thanks,
-V

[This message has been edited by V Silly (edited March 03, 2000).]
Quote Reply
No...Because it will have to parse data from the Description field into the %category hash, which may take about the same time to do. And this would only affect build time...not downloading time of your Home Page.

My suggestion if you want to reduce loading time...is to reduce the number of the $subcat_length in the links.cfg file to show fewer sub-categories.

Another suggestion is to put the <font> codes before the line where the sub-catgories are built in a separate $output line, so that you do not have redundant font codes (reduces the file size, and thus speeds up downloading time).

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center

[This message has been edited by AnthroRules (edited March 03, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by AnthroRules (edited March 03, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Thanks Eliot,
I did try putting the links in the category description fields, which may have sped the page up slightly because it was an alternate way of eliminating the redundant font tags...

I guess the only way to speed things up further would be as you say, to eliminate some subcategories. However I like the convenience of the user of being able to get a picture of the whole directory from the home page.

I guess there's just a limit to how fast the browser can process so many lines of code...

Thanks for the info!!!
-V
Quote Reply
V,

Some of the problem with load time is caused by all your page information being contained in one table. Before a browser can render any part of the page, it has to load all the page's data.

You might want to rethink your page layout and have your site name and menu etc. seperate from the table containing the links data.

That way at least something will display while the links data is being retrieved and formatted by the browser.

BTW, that page displays in 5 sec. with my cable modem (todays a slow day).

Dan O.
Quote Reply
Oddly enough, we just changed ISPs, and now my links home page loads instantly. Before it was churning and churning every time I hit the back button. Seems odd that changing ISPs would affect this, and yet it did.
Go figure.
-V
Quote Reply
It is not odd at all...connection to the Internet depends on many factors, including the following:

1) Speed of routers at ISP.
2) Speed of processor of servers at ISP.
3) Speed of switches at ISP.
4) Number of modem lines at the ISP (affecting dial-up access for clients).
5) Number of T-lines at ISP.
6) Type of cat lines at ISP.

BTW: You should thoroughly research hosting companies and ISPs in terms of their connection (reliability, speed, etc.) before deciding on a proper ISP. PRICE should NOT be the deciding factor....There are many other factors to consider when choosing an ISP/Hosting Company. But I digress...

And that just encompasses the ISP...here are some factors that affect traffic on the client side:

1) Speed of modem/cable/etc. connection.
2) Type of cat lines in the home or office.
3) Type of connection to the Internet (dialup access, DSL, etc.)
4) Number of users on-line at the same time accessing limited modem lines or other modes of connection.

These are just a few...there are many more.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center