Gossamer Forum
Quote Reply
SQL
A buddy told me how fast an SQL Server is at his work, so thinking of years to come running links, does anyone have any thoughts as to how much of a speed difference this script would be if it were converted to an SQL format and setup? Lik emaybe when the database has so many links it begins to take forever to re-build?

------------------
destiney - (des’-ti-nêy) - n. 1. diety of all things "html", 2. internet addict, 3. lover of late '80's heavy metal music, 4. see also - cool guy, des, mr. java, "It's 3:00a.m., your website is still up, why are you?" http://destiney.com
Quote Reply
Re: SQL In reply to
Well, the main advantadge you'll get with an SQL database is in searching. Since Links builds static html pages, the visitor only interacts with the database when searching (and when using jump.cgi, but this is usually pretty quick in version 2).

An SQL version is in the works which will be suitable for people with databases of more then 10,000 links. Won't leave people without an upgrade path. =)

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Way Cool Alex,
I have been holding off on doing a mass import to the links database for fear of the slowdowns that is normally associated with a flat file database. It's really nice to know that your working on an sql version so that Links can grow and grow and grow.
Keep up the hard work.
Quote Reply
Well thats about the coolest thing... Ya see, I been telling everyone, Matt Wright is not the only CGI Guy on the block...

I got a second unpublished copy of Links running on my Linux Box next to me. Just so I can see the physical strain of building my site anew everyday at my webhost, I have a duplicate copy running locally.

The same thing is occuring on Red Hat as was happening on my webhost's copy of Berkley Unix, for some reason it does not have the LWP module installed either, and does not verify links the way normally intended. Does anyone feel like guiding me through the procedure? I'd like to at least get my local copy running 100% correctly... I'm about 18 months into cgi scripting, and about 2 months new to Links. Never messed with Perl Modules before but I have my own System to experiment with since about 2 weeks ago...

------------------
destiney - (des’-ti-nêy) - n. 1. diety of all things "html", 2. internet addict, 3. lover of late '80's heavy metal music, 4. see also - cool guy, des, mr. java, "It's 3:00a.m., your website is still up, why are you?" http://destiney.com
Quote Reply
Our host did not have the lwp modules installed correctly on their servers. So we downloaded perl and placed the modules inside of our directory. Then we referenced any calls to the lwp modules to call say require /home/bla/bla/bla/pmodules/blablabla
so that they would find the lwp modules inside of our own directory and now it works.
Since this, though we have contacted our webhosting company a couple of times until they finally realized that what we said was true and re installed the lwp modules so that we no longer have to store a copy of the lwp modules in our own directories taking up unnecessary space from our own site.
My suggestion is either download the lwp modules, I think you can find the place to download them on gossamer-threads or complain to your webhost to get their act together and install the lwp modules.
I know this is probably not the answer you expected, but it is a work around for worst case webhosting companies inadequecies.
Regards,
Visionary
Quote Reply
I found this url when trying to find the newest LWP Module:

ftp://theory.uwinnipeg.ca/pub/CPAN/modules/by-module/LWP/

But there are so many files here, which is the actual module and is there anything else here that is needed?

Then I need to know where to place this in my directory structure. I am root on my Linux box so I'd like to place it where it is supposed to go. As for my webhost, I use Vservers.com and they set you up with pretty much the same structure as if you were root on their machine too, in that you have and are responsible for your own copy of Perl and if you alter it it doesn't affect anyone else on the physical machine. I found my Perl folder on there but I'm way to uneducated to do this alone. Some clues on how this works in detail would be appreciated.

So is nph-verify.cgi the only script that uses this module? Or do I need to find references to the default location of LWP and wing it from there?

------------------
Quote Reply
Go to:

http://www.perl.com/...www-perl-5.42.tar.gz

and as root ungzip and untar it. Then run:

perl Makefile.PL
make
make test
make install

and presto, it's installed. =)

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Alex,

I got it unzipped and uncompressed and then I proceeded to type this:
perl Makefile.PL

at this point I got these errors:

Warning: prerequisite Digest::MD5 0 not found at (eval 1) line 222.
Warning: prerequisite HTML::HeadParser 0 not found at (eval 1) line 222.
Warning: prerequisite MIME::Base64 2.1 not found at (eval 1) line 222.
Warning: prerequisite Net::FTP 2.4 not found at (eval 1) line 222.
Warning: prerequisite URI 1 not found at (eval 1) line 222.
Writing Makefile for libwww-perl

What I'm getting from these errors is that I need quite a few pre-requisite modules before this one is going to install properly. But anyway, at this point should we start a new thread entitled "Install the LWP", don't you believe?

If you got the time, I'd really like the rest of the story on how to proceed now...

------------------