Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

sub cat link total

Quote Reply
sub cat link total
I've been searching and searching but can't seem to find related problem.

Category link total (4) is fine on the main page. In the cat where I have (4) links I have now built 10 sub cats but no link (0) total. I then enter one of the sub cats and first then it shows (4) link totals. Why doesn't it show the link total in the main sub cat area ?

I'm new to all cgi and I have had my problems with setting it up because I run a NT where I had to seperate all the files into 2 seperate directories, meaning that I can't have any writable files in my cgi bin. It's been hell when one is new to cgi scripting, but evrything seems to work and I love the script and I'm quite sure taht I'll register it and even soon upgrade to QSL Links

Quote Reply
Re: sub cat link total In reply to
In Reply To:
Why doesn't it show the link total in the main sub cat area ?
Because that is not the way that Links work.

In Reply To:
upgrade to QSL Links
Uh...I think you mean Links SQL. What is QSL???

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks Eliot for your reply. So there's no way that sub cat can be resolved ?

Yes I do mean Links SQL and by the looks of it, it would pay off to go straight to that version but I really need to understand a bit more before I upgrade.

Best regards Claus

I'm actually going through the SQL demo now, it seems much more flexible. Are there any calculations of how many links it can hold ?
Quote Reply
The number of links that Links SQL can hold has been discussed so many times.

If you search the Links SQL forum I guarantee you will find an answer.

Paul Wilson.
Installations:
http://www.wiredon.net/gt/
Quote Reply
As Paul mentioned...this has been discussed quite a few times...it really depends on your database application...the number of records between MSQL and MySQL are pretty similar...but, of course, Oracle, is the most robust and you can store tons more in it than compared to the other database apps.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thank you Paul and also Eliot for your answers. I can see now that Links 2 is more or less just a baby version of Links SQL and other applications like Oracle, so it looks like I have moved into a world where there's a lot to be learned. So once I know Link 2 inside out, I'll move up the ladder.

Thanks for your answers even though I now will go and search for how many links SQL can manage.

Best regards
Claus

Quote Reply
I think I may have confused you in my last reply...LINKS SQL is a web application that parses data from DATABASE applications like MSQL (Microsoft SQL Server), MySQL, and Oracle...they are two totally different things. Web apps, which run through either CGI or another applications, like Cold Fusion, basically interface between the user/client system and server data storage applications, like MS Access, MSQL, MySQL, Oracle, Postgres, etc.

I would recommend learning the basics about client-server relationships, then learn about applications that interface between the two...etc...

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Hi there again Eliot........

Well, once again, as you now know that this is all new to me and I appreciate your answer very much. I agree that it might be a good idea to study some of the basics instead of trying to guess my way through programming. But I am quite proud of my self being able to get Links 2 working on a NT server as I have been told that it takes longer on a NT than Unix.
-------------------------------------------------------
I would recommend learning the basics about client-server relationships, then learn about applications that interface between the two...etc...
--------------------------------------------------------

Being Danish I will have to find some literature in danish so I get started in the right direction.

Thanks Eliot for your support.

Quote Reply
Hi

Not exactly sure what you are looking for, if you mean

Computers(17)
Software(2) Hardware(3) ...

If this is what you mean I made a snippet of code for subcat v2 (widgetz version) which does this, my site is under construction but you could look at

http://www.amijet.com/routes/

If this is what you mean email me and I will send you the snippet of code, I don't beleive it would work with version 2.1 as this would appear to use a different angle on the same task, however I have not studied it yet.

DavyC
http://www.amijet.com
Life's more fun in a virtual world
Quote Reply
Hi DavyC

No, not exactly. I'll try again.

On the main category page I have let's say cats from 1 to 20. When I klik category, let's say #3. In the #3 cat I have a further 10 cats, let's say from A to J. Now in the cat A I have 17 links but they don't show a link total in the cat #3 (not the main cat page, that works fine).

I don't know if this helps.

Best regards Claus