Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Writing Reviews?

Quote Reply
Writing Reviews?
Alex,

I search the archives and found no matches talking about writing reviews for individual resources. Surely this has been mentioned. Amazon.com does this and I for one use them a lot when doing research on various books. I see the CGI-Resources now incorporates them also. Any plans to add this in the future?
Quote Reply
Re: Writing Reviews? In reply to
You can add admin reviews in pretty easily. Steps are:

1. Add a new field called Review to the links.def file.

2. Turn build_detailed on.

3. Edit link.html template:
<%if Review%>
<a href="/links/Detailed/<%ID%>.html">Read Review</a>
<%endif%>

and you are done! Adding user based reviews would be more work, and is something I will probably add to a future version.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Alex,

Is it possible to have the detailed/review files in their corresponding categories/subcategories instead of all in one "Detailed" directory? I have a detailed view for all sites and I afraid this is going to be huge on its own. Also it would be easier to maintain if the files are created in their corresponding directories.

Thanks
Quote Reply
I should have clarified. I mean user comments very similar to Amazon and CGI-Resources. I think it adds a lot when the actual users add comments on the links as opposed to just the admin's point of view.
Quote Reply
I would like to keep my Site Reviews (which are manually done and linked). I know that I could add a field to the links.def file, which would add this to the Add Link Form. However, I would like only to have the administrator have the ability to submit reviews of particular sites.

Is there a way to only add this function so that the administrator is the only one who has the ability to add the review to the link?

I would also like to have the detailed view broken up by category to ease navigation. Is there a way to do this???

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
Is there a way to only add this function so that the administrator is the only one who has the ability to add the review to the link?
======
The above method mentioned by Alex allows only the admin to add a review.

I would also like to have the detailed view broken up by category to ease navigation. Is there a way to do this???
======
I don't understand what you mean. If you are saying you want have the detailed pages in their seperate categories, like your main categories I don't think that is possible without doing major modifications. See my above question, I would have liked to have seperate sub directories for detailed pages based on categories. But that does not seem to possible.
Quote Reply
keizer, did u ever find a solution for this mod ?

I am also very interested in it !
Quote Reply
No Message

[This message has been edited by Eliot (edited May 23, 1999).]
Quote Reply
No solution yet. I think it would add a nice touch to the program.
Quote Reply
K.-

Perhaps I misundertand your problem, but have you checked these mods yet?
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/resources/jump.cgi?ID=165

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/resources/jump.cgi?ID=141
Quote Reply
Thanks oldmoney. The second resource you listed seemed like a good start but it isn't what I was looking for. It shows the reviews in the order they were given with no organization. If we have thousands of links it is a better idea to have a link next to each record that says "reviews" or something and then you can read all of the reviews on that particular link without having to sift through some you may not care about. I think something like the cgi-resources does would be appropriate.