Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Open Directory RDF Dump Integration

(Page 2 of 3)
> > > >
Quote Reply
Re: Open Directory RDF Dump Integration In reply to
For what it's worth guys, though it's about ODP but not about your particular question, you might be interested in my experiences as an editor with them. I am boycotting ODP. They have a number of arrogant, vindictive higher level editors who are working AGAINST the interests and purposes of the ODP

http://diverlink.com/forum/posts/40198.html
You might want to consider looking elsewhere for information and links.
Quote Reply
I AM one of the editors for the ODP and personally believe you are wrong. It is because I think the ODP is one of the most comprehensive directories on the internet that I am planning to use their data.

Thanks,

Beau E. Gast
Internet Exclusive Network
beaugast@hotpop.com
Quote Reply
How can I be wrong? Those things did happen? Did you read my message (at the link)?

I'm not disputing that their directory is one of the most comprehensive for directories of that type. If you thought I was implying otherwise, I can see why you disagreed.
However, the abusive treatment of many category editors by some meta editors and the apathy on the part of ODP and Netscape make it something I wish to have no part of. I was merely passing on that information to others who might want to be aware of it in case they might want to make a similar decision.

I'm not trying to tell anyone what to do, just informing them of certain realities. I have much more information, including comments from several other editors, for anyone interested in knowing it. I think it's a shame that a few people are hurting such a worthwhile purpose.

[This message has been edited by ER (edited December 14, 1999).]
Quote Reply
ER,

If you are really interested in maintaining a directory for a human driven directory, you should consider joining the WWW Virtual Library, which is the very first Internet directory and was established in 1994.

It is widely used by Internet users. While the directory has a simple construction, it provides links to directories that have many QUALITY links (not just QUANTITY).

For more information, go to:

www.vlib.org

BTW: I have been a member of the WWW Virtual Library since 1998.

Regards.

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

[This message has been edited by Eliot (edited December 14, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Thanks, Eliot. I've bookmarked the site. For now, I'm just going to concentrate on finishing my implementation of Links and develioing the most comprehensive directory for my subject matter.

Yahoo is too slow and out of date, ODP is more focused on quantity, and there is plenty of room for improvement. I'm going to skip the politics and nonsense and just concentrate on my own.

Thanks once again.
Quote Reply
You're welcome. The WWW Virtual Library is a very cooperative international community of site maintainers with no hierarchy other than the WWWVL Council that oversees the development of the WWWVL. The community is comprised of more than 250 volunteer editors who have their own sites (design, layout, etc.) with a few common elements, such as the logo and title, and also contact information and methods for adding new sites into your directory.

BTW: The WWWVL was created by Tim Berners Lee, the father of HTML and the concept of the WWW. Lee is now the director of the W3 Consortium (www.w3.org).

Regards.

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Hey guys, lets go back to the original discussion on RDF import into Links? Shall we?

So, Alex, you mentioned that you have a rdf-_import.pl utility for importing that into Links SQL. Does it read from the RDF dumps or from their web site, or from Hyerseek utility?

Secondly, are there any volunteers for converting the script to Links 2 level? Anyone?

Cheers.
Quote Reply
i have few questions about this:
1) is this legal? is it posssible that dmoz will sue you? i only intend to copy about 5,000 links. should i ask for permission?

2) does it export the category.db as well?
if not then it means, alot of work

3) does it really work, can you download the links and descriptions
4) is alex sql version is better for links users?
Quote Reply
theguy

1) Yes...It is legal..Read the License Agreement Page:

http://dmoz.org/license.html

You do not need to ask for permission. Just follow the license.

2) Well, for HyperSeek, it dumps into RDF files (subcategories and links). The one that Alex wrote, I believe, only dumps into the links.db file. Again, he asked if anyone would be willing to make it exportable into the SQL version in an earlier post.

3) It seems to work. At least some people have been successfully doing it.

4) SQL is better than flat file. It conserves space and is more scalable than dumping into regular LINKS.

Regards.

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
i'm new to this, please excuse me if i ask stupid questions.
1) this is a cgi script so i have to chmod it to 755, am i right?

2)$incats = "structure.rdf"; # DMOZ Category File

how can i get the full path to dmoz category file?

3) $inlinks = "content.rdf"; # DMOS Links Database

how can i get the full path to dmoz links database

Quote Reply
it seems like nobody reads the messages in this forum, could someone please answer me.

thanks
Quote Reply
Yes...you change the permission of the .cgi script to 755.

For those variables, you need to put the absolute path where the files are located.

BTW:

Quote:
it seems like nobody reads the messages in this forum, could someone please answer me.

That is an inaccurate assumption. As you will notice I have responded a few times in this Thread and I also read and respond to other Threads in this forum.

Wink

Regards.

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
For those variables, you need to put the absolute path where the files are located.

how can i fnd the absolute path where the files are located on dmoz. did dmoz list it somewhere?

thanks eliot!!!

[This message has been edited by theguy (edited December 17, 1999).]
Quote Reply
we are talking about hyperseek script. i believe alex script is only available when you buy SQL version and it only works for sql version.

Eliot,
i think more people check the modification board than this one.
could you please answer my questions in the previous post.
Quote Reply
Sorry for missing the point but which "script" are we talking about here... is it Alex's, or some other script, is it Links 2 compatble or SQL and where can I get it?
Quote Reply
You should have the .rdf files on your server where the data will be dumped into. You need to use your ABSOLUTE paths to these files.

Regards.

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply

Quote:
The one that Alex wrote, I believe, only dumps into the links.db file

No, the Parse_RDF.pl script will import both links and categories (as well as Alternate Categories) into Links SQL.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Is anyone workingon a script to import the ODP into plain ole links?

------------------
ccunet
Quote Reply
yes... jcokos' import does

http://www.iwebsupport.com/files/rdf-convert.zip

It will convert stucture.rdf to categories.db and content.rdf to links.db.
Quote Reply
i'm not sure how to modify the first 4 lines:

$incats = "structure.rdf"; # DMOZ Category File
$outcats = "subcategories.dat"; # YOUR Category File
$inlinks = "content.rdf"; # DMOS Links Database
$outlinks = "hyperseek.dat"; # YOUR Links

do i need to create the above files on my server?

are you happy with the outcome?
Quote Reply
i do not understand legal terms. so they just want a link that says becomes an editor if i do not add, modify or delete any links.
or thre is something else

[This message has been edited by theguy (edited December 22, 1999).]
Quote Reply
In addition to the above question I'm wondering, is it possible to only import some of the categories.

Thank you in advance

------------------
ccunet
Quote Reply
Hi

I been reading this with interest as I'm in the process of setting up a "Links" base search engine.

Using John Cokos script - I work out the first part with setting the paths.

But what is Links format for this one.

## CHANGE THIS TO MATCH YOUR FILE FORMAT !!
print CATS "|$main|$cat|0|0\n";##

and what about this one?
## CHANGE THIS TO MATCH YOUR FILE FORMAT !!
print CONVERTED "$ID|$Category|$Extra|$Rank|$Qualifier|$Email|$Title|$URL|$Description|$Keywords| || |$Name|$Address|$City|$State|$Zip|$Country|$Phone|$Fax|$F iller1|$Filler2|$Filler3|$Filler4|$Filler5\n";

Thanks

Adam Shailes
Quote Reply
sure you can. read this thread more thoroughly.
Quote Reply
Dear lordmouse / Eliot,

In this thread apparently there are a bunch of people like me who want to use this RDF dump but they don't know much about Perl etc. and then there are the experts like yourselves. This threads has become so long that even though I had a very clear grasp of it in earlier stages but I am lost now and from some other comments I think I am not alone. Would one of you knowledgeables please do a simple step-by-step instruction on how to go about the whole thing? That is, assuming it converts the dumps for Links 2, where do we keep the rdf_Convert.zip script, the dumps, any configuration to be done and how to get it going, as well as how to go about it for selective importing?? And, since the size of these dumps is so massive, is it possible to do this conversion from dumps to Links 2 compatible categories.db and links.db offline on a windows 95 PC?

Its a BIG PLEEEEEASE with swiss chocolate and sugar coating on top!!! Smile

Raza
> > > >