Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Not all links captured

Quote Reply
Not all links captured
A recent problem I'm having is when I do a Build (via telnet or contol panel), not all links get displayed in their sub-categories. Some sub-categoies are fine, others are not. I have searched the message forums, but cannot seem to find a specific topic addressing this. Some things I checked for are: verified I have lots of hard drive space, all template files look ok (use ASCII text editor), categories.html has all tags on separate lines, made no mods since original install (many months ago), links.db in good shape (no errors recognized), Categories check out ok, build works just fine without errors, search for links works ok (all links listed), installed fresh copy of nph_build...made to difference.

Anything else I need to check over? I can't figure out why some links are not getting entered into some subs pages.

links.db about 650kb - 8 categories, 37 sub-categories

Cheers!
David

Quote Reply
Re: Not all links captured In reply to
Have you tried "Check Categories" in your admin menu? Sounds like a problem with cat names.

Quote Reply
Yes, I did mention that Categories checked out ok (no dupes and no reported errors). Categories and folders are created without error. All Category folders contain "index.html" and any "more" files.

Quote Reply
OK, just checking ...

Only thing I can think of as the problem maker is that you say you update via telnet and the control panel. Shifting between them can be the problem (something with owner rights and/or permissions). This has been reported before, and you may find something useful in the archives.

What I'd do would be to delete all built pages and directories, and then do a new build.

Quote Reply
Alright...I gave it a try. I removed my "/links" folder and let "admin" rebuild. All "categories", "index" and "more" files were re-created without incident. The problem still persist. It's like the re-building "skips" over the first bunch of categories and settles in later in the re-build process.

Could it be my server has reached its limit with Links 2? I only have 1300 links, but from what I've been reading Links 2 limits vary from system to system and Links config to config.

Quote Reply
1300 links is not usually enough to make Links choke. My database has 240 categories and over 6500 links and builds via telnet in just over 2 minutes. One thing you need to check on is that you aren't skiping category levels. Running check cat will not report any errors on missing categories if no link are directly in the category, nor will it halt the build process. I had this problem when I accidently deleted my category database a while ago. I had to run check cat to rebuild it from scratch, and couldn't figure out the problem for the longest time.

Happy coding,

--Drew
http://www.camelsoup.com
ftp://ftp.camelsoup.com
Quote Reply
This is driving me nuts of course ;)

So what I did this time was delete categories.db and reset categoriesid.txt. I then re-built categories by adding one at a time. No luck, it still skips over half my links. I repeated the procedure again only this time rebuilding after each category entry. I get to about my third category and it skips over my links again. So I varied the order of category entries and it seemed to stop listing at my larger categories (380 or so links). Most perplexing.

Quote Reply
Are you using build staggered or build staggered auto? If so, you should try running just build all or run nph-build.cgi from telnet.

Happy coding,

--Drew
http://www.camelsoup.com
ftp://ftp.camelsoup.com
Quote Reply
I did try all variants of building, all without sucess. It still skips about half my categories. After two nights of trying to fix this I'm taking a break. At the moment I'm going to "fake" the categories that won't list with a "search parameter" link. It ain't perfect, but at least the users can see all the listings. I'll take a fresh look at after my eyes re-focus.

I'd like to thank everyone for the tips so far. I'll try any new suggestions anyone has to offer. I'm not giving up just yet.

Quote Reply
Re: [sponge] Not all links captured In reply to
Sponge, did you ever solve your problem? I have the same thing occurring - and my guess is that changing the meta refresh tag in nph-build.cgi to a number higher than 2 might work. Not being a pro at this, I am waiting for my programmer to get back to me with his opinion - but it sounds logical. I watch the screen from Admin, and can see where the problems are going to occur, because the bottom of the page for whatever category won't rebuild properly will not display the hyperlink to go on to the next step. After rebuild, I can go in and that category plus a few following will have no links in them.

Last edited by:

triple1: Oct 6, 2002, 3:23 PM