Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Links 3.0

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: Links 3.0 In reply to
Alex,

Personally I've never been that worried about the password protection on modify. The reason that particular mod has interested me is the ability to call up the resource data from the database so that the user doesn't have to type the whole thing over again... only change the parts that need it. I don't like to ask the end-user to do any more work that absolutely necessary. They are more likely to help me keep my database fresh if they don't have to do a lot of work for it. So calling up the information to be modified is the addition I'd like to see in a future release, with or without password protection, I don't care.

Another feature I'd like to see added is giving the end-user or link owner the abiltiy to request link deletion. I'd like that to pass through Validate and let the admin decide to delete or keep the record with the click of a button as the admin can now accept or reject additions and modifications.

It would be nice to have the category listing set up in a template, but I don't much care. Actually, I don't look forward to a new release... yikes, too much work! Smile

Phoenix
Quote Reply

Quote:
The discussion is simply an opinion on this democratic forum

Correct!
Quote Reply
Hello XanathisHP!

Quote:

I don't know about the SQL version yet, because I haven't got my hands on a copy yet. Anyway, if you are using the non SQL version, it can happen. People cannot see my directories. If they tried to access them, they get an error message. If they knew the
direct location, that is, the full url to the .db files, they can easily obtain the db files. Not only harm your email.db, but what about copying an exact replication of your links.db.

Hey man, what you are doing are really very interesting thing, which is new to me. Ofcourse that going a bit out of the topic of the thread but not the forum. I have no idea about discussion in the past here and have not looked or searched. But still like to ask you this interesting thing you are doing out of curiosity. Or am I misunderstanding?

So, how are you hiding the directories? By a redirect.cgi? Thats one thing I can thing of writing location of URLs and then transfering to anathor location. I do not know about such a script or if at all this is possible. How do you manage?

In the SQL scripts, I beleive, should be most or all, it is the script which "Logs-in" with a given password. It uses a MySQL driver or a module and logs into the database like a telnet session. So its quite secure. Moreover, there are different password possibilities, full access, write only and read only access of the database. May I say here that this is MySQL feature and not of the Links SQL(Hopefully not wrong).

------------------
rajani

Quote Reply
Wow, this is a cool thread - a real pi**ing contest, if I ever saw one Smile Someone must have struck a nerve - or had a lot of nerve.

I can't add much that hasn't already been said, except...

I think I'm a pretty average type of webmaster. I was doing my links page using raw HTML, with the help of my favorite editor HomeSite 4.0. The problem was, ever time I wanted to add a new link, I ended up spending 15 minutes fiddling around, cutting-n-pasting, et cetera, with the HTML file. So, I looked for something better.

Also, our users and visitors are lazy and wouldn't take the trouble to e-mail their links suggestions to us. I think most people prefer to just form-n-submit, like they're used to on guestbooks, message boards, et cetera. So, we wanted a program that did this.

After looking at everything we could get our hands on, and trying out several varieties, we came up with two clear winners - DCLinks98 and Gossamer Threads Links 2.0.

We anguished over which one to use. DCLinks98 pretty much fit the bill, but Oh, that Gossamer Threads Links 2.0 was just too irresistable. DCLinks98 was up and running in an hour or so. Gossamer Threads Links 2.0 took a little longer. Then we found the templates section on Gossamer Threads. That did it...

After trying 4-5 different interfaces, we settled on the Snap interface. It looks very good on our site with suitable color changes and so forth. All told, we spent a pretty intense 48 hours setting up the Snap interface, to our liking, but it was well worth it.

It looks pretty, works great, people are adding links, the admin feature is a snap (no pun intended) and it's 1000% better than what we were doing before.

So, I guess this is my way of saying thanks to Alex for making such a great, highly configurable and customizable product. We pride ourselves on finding the simplest but most fuctional products available. To wit, we use RobPoll for our polling feature, RobBoard for our message board, Ultimate Guestbook for - you know - and Gossamer Threads Links 2.0 for our links page. To our way of thinking, these are the best products for the average webmaster to setup and run and the easiest products for our visitors to use.

Some people find it curious that we openly despise Madrona Park's UBB program, but use and promote their Ultimate Guestbook program. But, that's the way it is, and that's another conversation Smile

So, anyway, keep up the good work Alex, and don't let us cry babies get you down. You have the best links program on the web, for too many reasons to comment on here. If it wasn't the best, we wouldn't be using it, right?

------------------
Lenon.com Homepage
www.lenon.com
------------------
Lenon.com Links Page
See our "Snap Interfaced"
Gossamer Threads Links v.2.0
www.lenon.com/links/pages
------------------

Quote Reply

Quote:
So, how are you hiding the directories? By a redirect.cgi? Thats one thing I can thing of writing location of URLs and then transfering to anathor location. I do not know about such a script or if at all this is possible. How do you manage?

My site is hosted on a NT server in Denmark. I have no adminstration access over it here in Atlanta, GA. They guys there made a 403 access protetion when trying to see the content of a directory. The directory still exists, but cannot be seen. You must know the full url. As long as person knows where each file is located, they can get it. Still they cannot access my admin.cgi and other cgi scripts since I protected them, but my data files are not locked. I think that maybe the best way is to change the data files to be renamed as email.cgi and links.cgi. That way, when a person tries to access them, they will try to execute. This is what the UBB boards does for the Members directory. That means, you would have to search all of the scripts for any referrers to email.db and change them to email.cgi. Most likely you probably will miss one and it will cause problems.

I sometimes hate hotbot search engine. It spiders entire cgi directories if not protected, like my NT server cgi-bin. If you did a search for email.db, you would definitely get good results that harvesters are wanting. Do it now, and I bet you that you will find email.db on the first 10 hits. If not, I'll shut my site down Smile

There's no excuse as to protect your cgi scripts and not your data files. If I wanted, I could easily do a full replication on sites that have their scripts protected, but not their data files. It just shows how powerful a UNIX server can be. Ignorant people will post over and over for password protection their scripts.

--
http://www.techdevelopers.com
ASP, HTML, CGI, Flash, and more!

[This message has been edited by XanthisHP (edited June 26, 1999).]
Quote Reply
I agree with the spirit of the first post. It's not a criticism, but a wishlist out of some frustration -- and looking to the future and seeing a dark tunnle, not the light.

I have hacked links to no end, and my only fear is I *KNOW* I need the SQL version, and will any of the mods carry over?? What happens when 3.0 is released, and it works "better", so I *want* to upgrade, but may not be able to.

The purpose of "mods" when thought of as patches, is to add functionality, *should* be incorporated into the next release so that everyone who installed them, is covered. (Especially when the mods are somewhat supported by the program site).

The mods are adding functionality people want, if it's not there already.

This is different from mods that change the way the program works for a specific site (ex: templates).

Mods such as the Nested Ifs, and 3-new levels, and things like that, that don't affect the BASIC function of the program, but add functionality that can be used, ignored, or turned on/off should be incorporated.

Also, the programmer should bear in mind the various mods people have used, and try to make sure his program will still allow them, or if it doesn't, have a very good alternative.

I don't think ANYONE is criticising Alex. This program is awesome-- considering it's "free" (meaning you can really use it, try it out, get help, and make it work before paying for it)

I for one would like Links 3.0 to be a complete re-write, even if it doesn't add any features, just to smooth out, modularize, and make the code/templates more logical.

Links "grew". Competition today can clone it using it's success, and avoiding it's failures.

The biggest program with Links, is *NOT* any feature, or missing item -- it's the source files themselves.

Make them easier to follow, and understand, perhaps a FAST CGI version, and the program will have moved up more than a notch.

Quote Reply
Jeeez! Et tu, Links Forums? How tragic!

For those who are unaware who Website Solution really is -- please click the link below:

http://www.dabuzz.net/Sol-Sucks/

By the by, I consider the Links script a great investment. For others -- who want free scripts that will not only install themselves, but which will then debug themselves, customize themselves without infringing on anyone else's copyrights, and in short run an entire site with no time or effort invested by the site's owner (who apparently doesn't have the know-how to complete a site, much less make one successful) -- I suppose Links might present a problem.
Quote Reply
Me too, I agree.

Hubba, Hubba, Hubba I'm a happy boy 'cause I'm the Son of Sol!

Links is Kewl!!!
Quote Reply
Who is this crazy Son of Sol?
Quote Reply
Hey!

Look at this kewl link.

http://www.rinkworks.com/dialect/dialectp.cgi?dialect=moron&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dabuzz.net%2FSol-Sucks%2F

------------------
Quote Reply
Does anyone know where JimZ has gone? His email and site are not working.

Also, he is the only one that posted that he or anyone else has a script that emulates DMOZ. All other posts here talk about taking files from DMOZ but not creating an editor based program like DMOZ (without buying the sql version of links). Is there anyone that has such a software package?

Quote Reply
Re: [bbwbhmfa] Links 3.0 In reply to
Anyone know if Links 3.0 is in the works? Or is 2.0 the end and the future is the SQL version?

Just ever so curious :)
Quote Reply
Re: [DanJ] Links 3.0 In reply to
Links 3.0 is Links SQL 1.0, IMHO. Alex has only made a few (minor) updates to Links 2.0 in the 3+ years since it's release.

--Philip
Links 2.0 moderator
Quote Reply
Re: [sponge] Links 3.0 In reply to
Ya we noticed! Its too bad and can't afford sql ver. oh well back to the drawing board.
rexxx webmaster
Quote Reply
Re: [rexxx] Links 3.0 In reply to
One thing you could do is contact GT and see if you qualify for a discount, like if you are a non for profit or educational organization.

And also think of it this way, the amount of time and resources you'd spend customizing Links 2.0 further would be way more in monetary investment than upgrading your Links 2.0 script to Links SQL.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [dearnet] Links 3.0 In reply to
Is there a links 3.0 expected anytime soon ?
>> Nakul Goyal (SEO, Link Building Expert)
Web Site Promotion
Tips 'n' Tricks
SEO News

Quote Reply
Re: [nakulgoyal] Links 3.0 In reply to
Aside from security patches, no. For all intents and purposes, the first version of Links SQL was Links 3.0. Don't let the price tag scare you because Alex/GT can work with you to make it affordable. And trust me as a veteran Links 2.0 user, you'll find maintaining your site and customizing your installation much easier with Links SQL than Links 2.0.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [dearnet] Links 3.0 In reply to
Hi all!
Many of You got point in Your posts here. BUT isn't it too much preshure for Alex. We should rather say BIG BIG THANKS to Alex, because with Links v2.0 many of my dreams come true and if Alex was so kind to offer us this beautiful script for free why we sholdn't spend some time to improve it or add some extra mods to it. It would be nice to have something perfect, but there is so many of us with so many different wishes and we cant be all satisfied for free.

Soooo Alex Big Thanx from me, and what ever comes with new version I will again say THANKS just because I know how much time it takes to write some codes and if it's free what else cuold I say Wink!!!
Bosnian Links
Quote Reply
Re: [bihlink] Links 3.0 In reply to
and with Links2.0 available for free for non commercial use, it's GOLD.
>> Nakul Goyal (SEO, Link Building Expert)
Web Site Promotion
Tips 'n' Tricks
SEO News

> >