Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Is it possible to add links offline?

Quote Reply
Is it possible to add links offline?
Is there a way to add links offline instead
of online? My server is kind of slow... If any of you know how or can point me to an earlier message, I'll be appreciated!
THANKS ALOT!
Quote Reply
Re: Is it possible to add links offline? In reply to
I use Micro$oft Access 2000 to manage my links database, it allows me to do lots of things more easily than if I did it online (change around my categories, make mass modifications, etc).

The only problem with having your links copy offline is that you need to do these steps:
1. run a build
2. download a copy of links.db
3. merge the hits field from the copy you just downloaded in with the copy of links.db you're about to upload (otherwise your hit counts will be incorrect)
4. upload the new copy
5. run a build again.
and of course, in between downloading & uploading, if anyone accesses any of your links you won't catch those hits.

------------------
Marie Altobelli
Dragonsblood Ink. Librarian
http://dbink.hostingcheck.com
Quote Reply
Small point: if you do your work offline in between builds (scheduled or otherwise) there is no need to worry about hits. Hits are added to the data/hits/ directory and then merged into links.db when you run a build. Same with ratings.

A more likely issue to watch out for, in my opinion, is link submissions. If you receive one while working on the database offline, you will need to be careful to adjust the ID# of the submitted link to one not taken by your offline work.

Dan
Quote Reply
Yes....Use Excel or another spreadsheet program.

Want more information...search the forums!

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------

Quote Reply
thanks dan, you know, I knew that but somehow I never made the connection. brain fart, duh.

------------------
Marie Altobelli
http://dbink.hostingcheck.com
Quote Reply
Would you please post the DBF format of your
accesss format.
I used an excel spread to do the offline
editing. But when I upload then do
a build, nothing showed up.

Tks.
JohnHO
Quote Reply
do you mean post the url of a copy of my access database? I'm afraid that won't be of much help to most, I have 25 fields in my links.db, it's customized for all the mods I use.

But the problem you may be experiencing is that excel doesn't export to pipe delimited files. If you want to use excel you will need to:
- change your links configuration to accept another delimiter such as a comma (which excel can export to)
- export from excel, open in a text editor and do a find/replace to replace all the commas or tabs with a pipe character.
- import your excel spreadsheet into Access. where you can export the table or query directly to a pipe delimited format (export to txt format, choose other | from the delimiters.

------------------
Marie Altobelli
dbink.hostingcheck.com

[This message has been edited by ladyofdragons (edited March 13, 2000).]
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I use Micro$oft Access 2000 to manage my links database, it allows me to do lots of things more easily than if I did it online (change around my categories, make mass modifications, etc).
how do you do that? how come when i try to open my links.db from my access 2000, it keeps on telling me 'External table is not in the expected format.'

Sorry, I'm no good in all Microsoft or any spreadsheat application at all but still want to use it...

thanks for keeping the
internet a better place.
Quote Reply
You have to first create a table with all fields defined in your links.db file.

Regards,

Eliot Lee