Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

How active?

Quote Reply
How active?
Aside from the forums, I worry if this product is active or not. By that I mean, if I did buy it, will it get new features? I sent a few emails but got no replies. And seeing things like "<NEW> Links SQL demo is now up and running! (July 5, 1999)" makes me wonder.

One of my questions was will some of the modifications like user reviews etc be rolled in? Mods are ok, but what happens when there is an update, and maybe that update makes the modification incompatible?

Rick
Quote Reply
Re: How active? In reply to
Gossamer Threads is not planning an upgrade for regular LINKS 2.0.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Ok, that explains a lot. At least that's up front (not like the UBB fiasco going on now!).

Too bad, I'd rather run a current product, and SQL sounds cool but too steep for my small site.

Rick
Quote Reply
Well...the good thing about LINKS 2.0 is that it is flexible to include Mods. And there are many Mods to add to it.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Are there any hints or tricks to possibly being able to maintain a larger database without bringing a server to its knees? Or making the site unusable?

I love the program to death. But the $450 is a little much more my pockets at this time..

One last question. Ive seen emails regarding the size of links.db file with being under a meg. How well tested is this? Just curious..

Thanks,

Mottster

[This message has been edited by Mottster2 (edited February 26, 2000).]
Quote Reply
CGI scripts or any other script for that matter cannot handle flat files that surpass (by surpass, I mean extremely exceed) more than 1 MG of disk space. Large flat files eat up bandwidth, CPU, and Memory of a server. What tends to happen with large flat files is that the data will continually be deleted, since most servers are configured to handle ONLY a certain limit of data per file.

For example, one of my past clients was running the regular version of DBMAN 2.4. And within a month, the database grew to 1.3 MGs. Then on a daily basis, every time he tried to add a record, the database would empty. He only at the time had around 1,300 records. But the size of each record was quite large.

Here are some band-aid fixes that can help to carry the life of LINKS 2.0 before upgrading to SQL (which is inevitable if you are considering having a database with over 5,000 records and 1 MG of disk space):

1) Use short character values for fields.

Example: Use 1 and 0 rather than Yes and No for YES/NO fields.

2) Use a limited number of fields to reduce the size of your database file.

3) Use multiple databases and copies of LINKS to serve your purposes.

4) Reduce the number of Mods to the nph-build.cgi that will bring the server to its knees.

5) Use the Non-English Mod, which you can use to create shorter category names and replace them longer names to be printed in HTML pages that are built. This will reduce the size of your database dramatically.

These are only a few suggestions for keeping the life of your LINKS 2.0 database alive. Again, if you are considering having a larger database than 5,000 records with a file size that exceeds 1.0 MGs...it is time to consider LINKS SQL.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center

[This message has been edited by AnthroRules (edited February 26, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Yes..but it can grow pretty fast, trust me.

You're welcome.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Thanks for the advice.. I just checked my links.db file.. Its currently 104k with 533 entries.. So, im not doing too bad.. Smile

-Mottster^
Weathertalk.net (http://weathertalk.virtualave.net)