Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Duplicate IDs

Quote Reply
Duplicate IDs
On my website I have LInks 1.1.1 running (see it in action at http://www.bust.com/girlweb)

anyway, i've gotten alot of links since we launched, and it has been working fine for over a year, but now, now some of my links suddenly have the SAME id number! for instance, i have two seperate URLs that go to the ID = 401, and, I don't know what other ones, but it's making the links not link to the correct URLs! What can I do to fix this?
Quote Reply
Re: Duplicate IDs In reply to
Check your linksid.txt file. It should contain the highest ID number used by Links. If it is incorrect, you will experience duplicate ID's. Fix the ID's in links.db first, then edit linksid.txt to show the highest number used.

I hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Okay, this is going to sound dumb, but how, exactly, am I supposed to edit these files? Should i re-assign ID numbers? How can I make this work right again?

Help!
Quote Reply
Actually, I just looked at my linksid.txt file and my links.db. And boy, are they messed up. The linksid.txt says the next avail. number is 854 or something, and I have almost 2,000 links in my database! But the numbers in the database are very, very messed up too. it goes fine till about 1158, then it goes crazy: 14, 30, 1168, then 1168 - 1184 is fine, then all of a sudden more craziness: 15, 1185, 20, 31, 32, 33, 34, 16, 35, 18 (??!!), then kind of normal from 44 to 456 (but all of thse are duplicates, of course). Weirdness!

So , what do I do? Do i reassign numbers manually from 1159 on, then change the top number in the linksid.txt file, and rebuild the pages? will that fix it or just mess it up more?

Please help
Quote Reply
Try the regenerator script located at http://www.groundbreak.com/teasers/regenerator/ .

I hope this helps.
Quote Reply
I will do that! You're my hero!
Quote Reply
the regenerator script worked like a charm
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Don't thank me, thank the author of the script. I just gave you the URL to it.