Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Disasterous Server Error

Quote Reply
Disasterous Server Error
After validating a new link I tried building pages. I got an error message about the device being full. The db was wiped clean, the back up was wiped clean. The backup of the entire site the server makes is empty. I had no copy of the db at home. I lost it all. Even the counter file was zeroed. Catagories remained.

I'm pretty sure this was a case of really bad timing and a server problem, not a Links problem. I will always keep a backup copy of links off the server from now on.
Quote Reply
Re: Disasterous Server Error In reply to
This is something that I have never heard before. I've heard of people losing all of their links, but it is usually because they failed to password protect their admin area and some malicious person deleted all of their links. I don't see how this could have been done by Links. I would be interested in seeing the full error messages that you got when this happened or if you can reproduce what happened.
Quote Reply
Trekker,

Read his post again. He said "I'm pretty sure this was a case of really bad timing and a server problem, not a Links problem."

When a server becomes full, which can happen if some ill-written program dumps a huge core file or an ISP doesn't watch capacity close enough, then nothing can be written to any file. Every script that attempts to, will over-write the file and the file will become 0 bytes in length.

This has happened to me on my server once or twice (because of the first problem, not the second one). Luckily, I had backups!!! Smile

------------------
Bob Connors
bobsie@orphanage.com
www.orphanage.com/goodstuff/
goodstufflists.home.ml.org/

Quote Reply
I will be adding into Links a better backup mechanisim (although you should always be doing your own backups of your entire site). Also, most good ISP's will be able to retrieve your data off of backup for you (for a fee of course).

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Alex,

Quote:
Also, most good ISP's will be able to retrieve your data off of backup for you (for a fee of course).

I don't! Err... charge a fee I mean! Smile

------------------
Bob Connors
bobsie@orphanage.com
www.orphanage.com/goodstuff/
goodstufflists.home.ml.org/