Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Data gone with the wind...

Quote Reply
Data gone with the wind...
All of sudden, my email.db, links.db, linksid.txt, modified.db, url.db as well as some other data files are 0 bytes in size. Most probably that predicament is related to my host company, but I'd just like to know what could be the reason for that loss of data or if anyone has experienced similar problems. Is there any way to recover those data files? Frown Sigh...

Quote Reply
Re: Data gone with the wind... In reply to
Too large size of your database files...This has happened to me many times in the past...My hosting company deletes flat files (.db and .txt) that exceed 1.0 Mgs.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Actually I am still waiting for my host's reply. My links.db for instance was only about 500k in size...
Anyhow, how could I use the files in my backup directory to restore the lost data?

Much obliged for your answer, Eliot! Did you reach an agreement with your provider by upgrading your account or so?

Quote Reply
Oops, sorry for my premature question, I understood how to use the backup files in order to retrieve data.

[whine]
What I am actually unable to understand is why providers simply delete files without prior warning or notice,
that's very unprofessional and embarassing... Mad
[/whine]

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Anyhow, how could I use the files in my backup directory to restore the lost data?
Search the forums!

In Reply To:
Did you reach an agreement with your provider by upgrading your account or so?
Not really...I've been carefully to keep my flat files small before I upgrade my scripts to MySQL and mod_perl.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Read your hosting company's TOU (Terms of Use) or AOU (Agreement of Use). And hosting companies can basically do whatever they want...yet it would be nice to send out notifications before deleting files.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Read your hosting company's TOU (Terms of Use) or AOU (Agreement of Use).
I have graduated from law school, so studying terms and agreement was the first thing I did. Wink

Anyhow, I am considering to change my hosting company, since I haven't got any support from them so far. I checked your host, they appear to be quite serious and dedicated.

In Reply To:
I've been carefully to keep my flat files small before I upgrade my scripts to MySQL and mod_perl.
Up to this week I figured that a flat file of 500kb in size is still small...
Anyhow, thanks for your replies, Eliot, I appreciate your support very much!

Quote Reply
You're welcome.

Regards,

Eliot Lee