Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Changing required field to optional

Quote Reply
Changing required field to optional
Hello all!!

I want to change the add.cgi field like contact name and email to optional only. How do I do that? what file? thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Changing required field to optional In reply to
There is an FAQ on this in the RESOURCE CENTER.

--Drew
Quote Reply
If I have a major gripe so far, and I do, it has to be this. Shouldn't someone have this stuff written down in a quasi manual/readme file?

I'm wasting way too much time trying to figure out the answers to these fundamental questions. Time that would be better spent entering the 1000's of links to my directory.

Anyway, enough whining. You may not find the file you want as the title doesn't reflect the question. Here it is:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/resources/Detailed/162.html
Quote Reply
Some suggestions:

1) Go to the Resource Center...read the FAQs, check out the Modifications.

2) Search the forum for related Threads.

3) If all else fails, then post a question.

BTW: I empathesize with the manual need, however, I think that the README file is self explanatory and addresses MANY questions that are raised in this forum. Also, it would be VERY challenging to write a manual that can be used by the many applications of LINKS.

Since you have expressed this need, why don't you work on such a manual. Although, you should ask Alex first for permission to do this.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------

Quote Reply
Hehe. Thanks, Eliot. However, if I knew enough about it to write a manual, I wouldn't be here looking for the answers. ;-)

Not sure what readme file you have. But, it can't possibly be the one that I got with the program.

I'm familiar with this board. Or, at least, others like it. My point is that it would be nice to have a piece of paper I could glance at rather than logging in here every twenty minutes.

I am one of those who expects to pay for it. But, I need to try it out first. I don't think the learning curve is all that steep. Finding the info to read in the first place is the time consuming part.

Along with the rest of the world's problems, I blame Bill Gates for starting this manual less society. :-D

Jeff
Quote Reply
Well, I have the original README file for LINKS 2.0. If you have Perl knowledge, which you seem not to have, then the README file is quite useful. And it makes sense that you should have some knowledge of Perl before installing and maintaining a more complex script like LINKS. If not, then you are in for one heck of a nightmare.

But rather than whining and bitching about the problem, why not do something about it. If you think a manual would be more helpful...Pose the question in this forum (NOT THE MODIFICATION FORUM) and ask for people's input. Also, request others to assist you with writing the manual.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------

Quote Reply
I didn't intend to make huge deal out of this, Eliot. It was a simple comment from someone seriously considering parting with $230.00.(Can.) Not whining and bitching as you so eloquently put it.

You're right about the install instructions. There was no real trouble getting the *basic* program to work. If I don't mind the default settings.

As to me writing the manual, are you sure I'm the best person for that job? :-) Not that it matters. There aren't enough hours in the day to meet my current commitments as it is. I couldn't do it even if I were qualified. Which I am not. ;-)

Jeff