Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Change "new" and "pop" styles

Quote Reply
Change "new" and "pop" styles
How can I change the style of the "new" and "pop" that show up next to new and popular links? All I want to do is change the color of the fonts. I changed the colors in the link.html template which I thought would do it but it didn't work. I figure there must be something in the perl coding I have to change but I don't know anything about that.

I would appreciate any help anyone can give me.
Quote Reply
Re: Change "new" and "pop" styles In reply to
Could you post what you have in link.html? That should affect what you want, unless you have also declared them somehow in sub site_html_print_cat in site_html_templates.pl...

Dan
Quote Reply
I have not changed anything but link.html. Here's what I have for link.html:

<dl>
<dd><a class="link" href="<%db_cgi_url%>/jump.cgi?ID=<%ID%>"><%Title%></a>

<%if Description%>
<span class="descript">- <%Description%></span>
<%endif%>

<%if isNew%>
<font color="#FF0000"><small><sup>new</sup></small></font> <%endif%>

<%if isPopular%>
<font color="#000080"><small><sup>pop</sup></small></font>
<%endif%>

<small class="date">(Added: <%Date%> Hits: <%Hits%> Rating: <%Rating%> Votes: <%Votes%> ) <a href="<%db_cgi_url%>/rate.cgi?ID=<%ID%>">Rate It</a></small>

</dd>
</dl>
Quote Reply
Oh, one thing that just occured to me is that your problem might be due to CSS. It's been nearly a year since I looked at the CSS setup, but I imagine your problems would be solved by stripping out all such references. Try a simplified version of link.html like:

<a href="<%db_cgi_url%>/jump.cgi?ID=<%ID%>"><%Title%></a>

<%if Description%>
- <%Description%>
<%endif%>

<%if isNew%>
<font color="#FF0000"><small><sup>new</sup></small></font>
<%endif%>

<%if isPopular%>
<font color="#000080"><small><sup>pop</sup></small></font>
<%endif%>

<small>(Added: <%Date%> Hits: <%Hits%> Rating: <%Rating%> Votes: <%Votes%> ) <a href="<%db_cgi_url%>/rate.cgi?ID=<%ID%>">Rate It</a></small>

Dan
Quote Reply
That sort of worked. The "new" showed up in red as hoped on all pages but not on the home.html page, it showed up just as before. Also, some of the formatting obviously changed cause some links showed up running together and/or the spacing was screwed up. I think we are on the right track but not sure how to fix the formatting problems.

Quote Reply
Once you get rid of the CSS, formatting is pretty much just standard HTML. As far as the home page "new" link, see if it's specified in sub site_html_print_cat of site_html_templates.pl. I'm guessing it is.

Dan