Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

CSS and templates? (for a confused newby)

Quote Reply
CSS and templates? (for a confused newby)

Firstly, two things to say;

1) Sincere apologies if you 'vets' have seen these questions a million times before.

2) Before you ask, yes I have searched for the answers before posting. Although there's lots of stuff on these questions it doesn't seem to make sense to me. (You must bear in mind I am a real newby at this)

OK, here we go -

I've got links2 installed and working. Good. As far as I can gather from others' postings, it's running on templates and CSS as the default at the moment (white background/black title bars/white text).

I'd like to simply change the background colour, text colours and add my own logo and top nav bar to each page.

With regard to the backgrounds and text, am I right in thinking that all I need to do is go through links.css and make my amends there?

(As an aside I read through the whole links.css document and attempted to track which instructions/colours etc related to which part of the site. Most of it was simple to tie together. However could someone tell me what the first three items relate to - 'no title', 'paragraph' and 'definition list')

Regarding adding a common header to all the pages, I've seen reference to header.txt files (can't find them anywhere on my site), site_html.pl and site_html_templates.pl . There's also the template amends that are do-able with the Directory administration pages.

If someone could supply a non-techie, newby-speak explanation on site_html.pl and site_html_templates.pl it would be appreciated (and should probably go on FAQs)

As far as my technical knowledge goes, I'm perfectly happy adding some lines of html to each of the template pages. However this is obviously time consuming and I know there must be a simpler/quicker way to do it.

Any answers?

Many thanks in advance for your help (us newbies do appreciate you vets helping out)

Regards

Cakeboy44@yahoo.co.uk
The answer to your question is ....because cakeboy43 had gone.

PS Eliot, if you read this, you mentioned in a previous headers post problems with WYSIWYG editors and templates. I'm using FP98, will this cause problems?

Quote Reply
Re: CSS and templates? (for a confused newby) In reply to
In Reply To:
Eliot, if you read this, you mentioned in a previous headers post problems with WYSIWYG editors and templates. I'm using FP98, will this cause problems?
Yes.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
How?

Quote Reply
Because if you do not copy ALL the webbot codes for the header and footer sections (SHARED BORDERS), then the HTML codes will not display when the pages are built. Also, the webbot codes do not work well within CGI scripts.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Ok, fine.

Anyone got any answers to the other bits of my initial post?

Cakey

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I'd like to simply change the background colour, text colours and add my own logo and top nav bar to each page.

With regard to the backgrounds and text, am I right in thinking that all I need to do is go through links.css and make my amends there?
That would be the easiest method.

In Reply To:
(As an aside I read through the whole links.css document and attempted to track which instructions/colours etc related to which part of the site. Most of it was simple to tie together. However could someone tell me what the first three items relate to - 'no title', 'paragraph' and 'definition list')
no title -> means no title
paragraph -> sets paragraph alignments
definition list -> indents text

In Reply To:
Regarding adding a common header to all the pages, I've seen reference to header.txt files (can't find them anywhere on my site), site_html.pl and site_html_templates.pl . There's also the template amends that are do-able with the Directory administration pages.
You have to create your own header.txt that includes common HTML codes for the top of the page. Same thing with a footer file, like footer.txt.

In Reply To:
If someone could supply a non-techie, newby-speak explanation on site_html.pl and site_html_templates.pl it would be appreciated (and should probably go on FAQs)
Bobsie, the Links 2.0 Customization Forum Moderator wrote some easy to understand codes in a Thread titled something like headers and footers. If you use the forum search engine, and use the following search criteria:

1) Forum: Links 2.0 Customization
2) Keywords: header footer Bobsie
3) Search Options: And
4) Date Range: All posts
5) Hits: 300

You should be able to find relevant Threads and also the one that Bobsie provided the codes.

Regards,

Eliot Lee