Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Banning a domain

Quote Reply
Banning a domain
Is there any way, or add-on that will allow me to ban a domain, or wild-card such as *.de from submitting to my directory? I keep getting non-english submissions (all German) and the non-English characters keeps corrupting the database. I have very clear submission rules but they don't bother to read them, or can't understand them. Everytime one of these sites submits, the site ID drops to zero and when I go to verify and delete the link I can't. I have to download the verify DB and manually delete everything in it. This only happens with submissions not in English.

Quote Reply
Re: Banning a domain In reply to
Search the forum for German Spammers.

Thomas
http://www.japanreference.com
Quote Reply
Use the Block URL Mod located at:

http://lookhard.hypermart.net/links-mods/

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks guys!
I installed the block URL mod and it works great!

Cheers!

Quote Reply
Low Tech Solutions to Banning a domain In reply to
This german JERK has been a pain in my butt for the better part of a year now and despite my requests that he remove my site from his robot submission engine, he refuses. (MOST RUDELY I MUST ADMIT)

With that in mind I created a simple work around that easily keeps him off my site and doesn't create any extra steps for my users.

I changed all links to 'add.cgi' in my links templates to adsite.html. This is an html form that I created specifically for site submissions. This means that my submission page is static rather than dynamically created by the add.cgi script. Which is really no big deal.

This HTML form posts to what was formally called 'add.cgi'.

I changed the name of the script to submit.cgi. The script works the same way no matter what you call it. Every time I start getting submissions from Germany with no referrer site listed, I change the name of the script and point my html form to the newly named script.

Changing the name of the script and the 1 line of html code only takes 20 seconds and doesn't create any extra steps for people submitting to my site as some of the other mods and work arounds.

The way I look at it, if that Kraut wants to keep changing his code so that his users can submit to my site then let him knock himself out. I'll just keep changing the name of the script.

BTW, since implementing this work around in late November of 2000, I've only had to change the name of the script once.

You can check out my handy work at http://www.rightbot.com

Quote Reply
Re: Low Tech Solutions to Banning a domain In reply to
Thanks for sharing that. I renamed the .cgi to submit, but hadn't thought about changing to the static html page.

I've tried everything! I have no idea how this guy is doing this... he's getting past the internal "allowed referrer" as well as 2 seperate htaccess scripts. I banned all .de sites with the Ban Domain Mod, but then they submit doorway pages housed on geocities and tri-pod. All the submissions have been straight xxx sites. Considering my site is a gay & lesbian directory this is a double annoyance.

Hopefully with your changes and my own measures this will stop. I tracked down the domain owner (the same for most of the sites) but he won't respond to my mailings.

Cheers!
Cougar
QueerSeek.com