Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Auto....

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: Auto.... In reply to
I'm still not done with the 'How To' so I'm not ready to put on a web page for everyone to use as yet, however, I think we could make a start. I've sent the urlimport.cgi and the readme.txt file via Email.

George E.D. Burville
Ed: www.appbe.com
Quote Reply
Socrates... If you want me to send you the files I sent to RPGMAN just give me your Email address.

George E.D. Burville
Quote Reply
Th program somewhat worked. In my testing, I believe that the fields are off by one. I used urlimport.cgi to create the pending.txt file needed for the program bulkload.cgi.

It read all my web pages and gathered all the http's (links) on them, but when they were written to the pending.txt file, the fields were off by one. Example, it put the url address in the date field and it skipped the "hits" field. So, I can try and figure out the problems, but I'm not that good at perl. Also, could urlimport.cgi be changed to also have the description be put into the "Title" field? The rest I could default. Also, do you have a record layout of links.db?

Awaiting your reply,

And thanx for everything so far. Once I get this done, I'll have a great Links 2.0 database.

RPGMAN

Quote Reply
I'm back home but my computer keeps crashing on me... Anyway I'm pleased that you got the program running.

The fields will be off by one because the ID field should have been removed in preparation for bulkload.cgi. I don't understand the skipping of the hits field though...

Sorry about the 'Description', I should have put it into 'Title' in the first place.

I'll Email you an updated version. You will need to change the filename to urlimport.cgi and reset all the user params as required.

I've added a fix to ensure that if a field name is wrong in %rec_defaults it will be reported on, so it's worth checking the logfile after a scan.

The record layout of links.db is as defined in %db_def, (in links.def). Take the lines:-

ID => [0,'numer',5,8,,'',''],
Title => [1,'alpha',40,75,1,'',''],

For 'ID', the 0 in the first parameter indicates that the 'ID' is field '0' in the links.db file. Each field is delimited by the '|' symbol. For 'Title', the '1' in the first parameter indicates that the 'Title' is field '1' in the links.db file.. and so on. Each record is delimited by the newline character '\n'.

The resulting file, (a flatfile database), is:-

ID|Title|etc|etc|etc\n
ID|Title|etc|etc|etc\n
ID|Title|etc|etc|etc\n and so on...

Hope this helps.

George E.D. Burville
> >