Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Alex help? Links has suddenly gone funky (but it's not the program's fault!)

Quote Reply
Alex help? Links has suddenly gone funky (but it's not the program's fault!)
Alex,
Links started having a problem around 620 links, so I deleted the links over ID# 599 in links.db, and changed the appropriate text files correctly... started to add a new link and it came up with ID#600 and everything seemed to be running smoothly.
I emailed all of the link owners and told them something had happened, to please submit their link again. The email went out fine.
It's been a few days since I've touched it, but now there seem to be bugs everywhere... I truly don't think this is the fault of the program, instead it looks like someone (perhaps the webhost??) went into my directory and started randomly changing permissions. Many of the permissions were wrong, I set them back. Even permissions on the actual search pages and folders have been changed (first hint to this was when I tried to rebuild the pages and it kept getting stuck on doing the "what's cool" page, saying it can't open the file... I've set the page to 777 and it *still* says it can't open the file...)
A link can be added fine from the admin page. However, from the actual search engine page they end up with this:

Ratings (can not be left blank)
Votes (can not be left blank)
receive Mail(can not be left blank)

I have NO clue where this is coming from, I've hunted all through links.cfg and add.cgi to try to find it and can't get it fixed.

Also, when I hit the newsletter link (at this point just testing to see if it works) the script tells me that links.db doesn't exist (although it's right there where it's supposed to be, chmod 666 and everything...)

Any ideas on things I can do to fix each individual problem, or should I just scrap the entire thing (including the databases) and re-install? (I thought of re-installing and putting the db's back in but figured maybe there was an easier way to do it first)

*crossing fingers*
Raven
Quote Reply
Re: Alex help? Links has suddenly gone funky (but it's not the program's fault!) In reply to
Wow, strange indeed! Email me a url where I can see your admin area, and also your config file.

Cheers,

Alex