Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Add.pl stopped working - 500 internal server error

Quote Reply
Add.pl stopped working - 500 internal server error
At first it was giving me "unkown tag - category_name" and it would still email me the request to add resource.

I had no idea what to do, so I uploaded add.pl and rebuilt, and now it gives the 500 error. I just redesigned the templates so this may have something to do with it. Add.pl seems to be the only thing that isn't working as far as I know.

Check it out at http://LessonPlanz.com

Thanks for your help,
Amanda
Quote Reply
Re: Add.pl stopped working - 500 internal server error In reply to
Also, I forgot to mention, when I go to admin.cgi to validate, it tells me how many resources are waiting to be validated, but nothing shows up.
Quote Reply
Try reuploading your add.pl in ASCII and make sure the top line of the script contains the correct path to Perl on your system.

Try reuploading admin_html.pl as well. It sounds to me like there is a table not being closed properly someplace.

I hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Thanks for the suggestions... however, it still doesn't work. Frown

I reuploaded add.pl in ASCII to be sure, then reuploaded the admin_html.pl, also in ASCII, and I'm still getting the same error. The path to perl is correct. This has worked for 2 months with no errors, and has stopped since I redid my templates yesterday.

I think this happened once before with my subscribe.pl, and I read that this error is usually caused by non ASCII transfer, and the perl path being wrong, but like now, I rechecked those things and it still didn't work. Somehow I did get it fixed by reuploading some files. I didn't know what I was doing, so I don't know how I did it, if that makes sense!

Do you, or anyone else, have any other ideas??

Thanks again in advance,
Amanda
LessonPlanz.com
Quote Reply
NEVER MIND!!! Smile

I searched the boards for "internal server error" - someone mentioned the FAQ, which I didn't find before, and it said permissions for add.cgi needed to be set at 755.

Then I remembered the problem I'd had with subscribe.pl earlier, and that I had redone permissions then. SO, I set add.pl at 755.

That didn't fix the problem, but it did allow me to see a complete error message when I clicked on "validate" in admin.cgi. It turns out that when I redid my templates yesterday, I failed to upload the email-del.txt files.

No one would have ever thought of that. You know most of our problems are caused by careless mistakes such as this. I just hope this helps someone else in the future.

Thanks for your help, and sorry I'm so long-winded,

Amanda
Quote Reply
In add.pl, trying including the full path (from your root directory) to the links.cfg file in the links.cfg require line at the top of the script. Sometimes that is all it takes.

If you have telnet access, log in and try to run the script from the shell prompt to see if it gives you any other errors. You may need to run it using the command, "perl add.pl".