Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

12,000+ Links

Quote Reply
12,000+ Links
I am testing to build 12,000+ links.
Haha....just testing. Because I see so many messages posted
saying Links 2.0 can handle 5,000 links...or 2,000 links.
I am building them now, let's see what happen....later

Quote Reply
Re: 12,000+ Links In reply to
i am sorry, it should be 18,000++ links...
Well, guess what it builds all!! Completely.

Quote Reply
Say hello to LINKS SQL.

Links 2.0 can only handle around 5,000 Links.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Sorry...I really couldn't understand what you mean by Links
2.0 can only handle 5,000 links.

Please...because yesterday night I've just built all the
18,000++ links. But of course, i made some mistake in my category.db, so I lose 4,000++ links. But the other 14,000 links are built!

Is it that Links 2.0 itself cannot take this?

Quote Reply
That is correct. Links 2.0 can only handle around 5,000 links. 18,000 links is WAY above the maximum limit.

What I mean by "handling" is:

If you exceed the maximum limit of Links, then you will most likely experience the following problems:

1) Inability to build directory due to excessive use of CPU.
2) Time-outs when adding, editing, deleting, and searching the database.
3) Users will experience long search times (around 3-5 minutes) when accessing the search.cgi file.
4) Some servers will automatically delete files that exceed a certain size like around 1.5 Mgs, which means that you will have to continually build from backups.

Shall I go on...there are more problems, which I do not have time nor patience to go into details.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
I'm running link2 with over 3,000 links. there are 16 categories in the db. i have succefully built all pages within the first 15 categories. however, the script stops reponding while finished building the first page of the last category (there are over 900 links within it). the rest of the pages within this category were not build.

can someone tell me what's going on and how i can get it fix? thanks!

Quote Reply
You have too many links in that category and your server is timing out.

Two suggestions:

1) Create additional sub-categories in that one category with 900 links.
2) Use telnet to build your directory.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
thanks for the quick reply!

if i were to create subcategories, how do i move links to the newly created subcategory(ies)??

with the second option, how do i telnet to built the directory? thanks!
Quote Reply
Uh...these questions have been addressed a number of times in both this forum and in the Links 2.0 Customization Forum.

1) Use the Check Cat option in the admin.cgi file.
2) Use the following steps:

a) Connect to your account via telnet.
b) Connect to the directory where your nph-build.cgi file is located....

Code:

cd /cgi-bin/links/admin

c) Execute the nph-build.cgi file:

Code:

perl nph-b*

Before doing this...you should delete all the .html files created by Links in your links/pages directory.

Note: You will NO longer be able to build your directory via your web browser after building it with telnet.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Note: You will NO longer be able to build your directory via your web browser after building it with telnet.
Under what conditions does this apply? On Apache I have built via telnet and now am building via browser and I don't notice any obvious problems...
Just curious - thanks.

Quote Reply
Well...the problem is with file and directory permissions...check them.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Elliot,

I have just tried building my directory via telnet and I was not able to even begin the process. I typed in the command 'perl nph-b*' and it generated the following error message.

Error including libraries: Can't locate /usr/local/etc/httpd/vhosts/strugglingteens.com/cgi-bin/links/admin/db_utils.pl in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00503/i386-bsdos /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.00503 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005/i386-bsdos /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.005 .) at nph-build.cgi line 31.

Make sure they exist, permissions are set properly, and paths are set correctly.

Is there anything you can tell me to help me build my directory via Telnet?

Thanks,

David

Quote Reply
You need to include the complete ABSOLUTE path in the require "links.cfg"; line.

Example:

Code:

require "/usr/local/etc/httpd/vhosts/strugglingteens.com/cgi-bin/links/admin/links.cfg";

as I mentioned above, I believe. Wink

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Eliot,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I changed the value for the absolute path and things got going in the right direction.

The next problem now is that the script is generating the following error after successfully getting started with the build routine...

Building Home Page . . .
Subcategories: 51
Total Links: 604
Opening page: /usr/local/etc/httpd/vhosts/strugglingteens.com/htdocs/lr/index.html
Content-type: text/html

<PRE>

CGI ERROR
==========================================
Error Message : unable to open home page: /usr/local/etc/httpd/vhosts/strugglingteens.com/htdocs/lr/index.html. Reason: No such file or directory
Script Location : nph-build.cgi
Perl Version : 5.00503

I'm not sure where to look in fixing this problem. I did erase the whole directory where the pages are, then I issued the 'mkdir' command and created the directory again and set the permissions to '777'. I left it empty however.

David

Quote Reply
UPDATE! I located the source of the problem and I'm building the directory via telnet right now. Thanks, Eliot, for guiding me in the right direction.

Quote Reply
I betcha you forgot to delete your LINKS generated pages before using telnet, right? Wink

Yes, you do need to delete all the pages/directories generated by Links via your web browser building BEFORE using telnet. The problem is that the ownership of the file is NOBODY when you build via HTTP protocol (web browser), and in order to use telnet...you need to have the files/directories owned by your administrative root account.

Regards,

Eliot Lee