Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Need opinion of decision between Links2 and DBMan

Quote Reply
Need opinion of decision between Links2 and DBMan
I have a design client who wants a site where visitors can list their homes for private sale. This will be a free service. He wants people to be able to sumit their own listings, including picture(s).

I'm thinking that my choices here are Links2 or DBMan. I'd appreciate any input on which Gossamer product I should recommend that my client purchase for use on his site.

Thanks.

Vito
Quote Reply
Re: [ceniti] Need opinion of decision between Links2 and DBMan In reply to
They both use the same database type. Links is easy to customize and less resource intensive (if you build static pages). In dbman you have to use the cgi to query listings and each time it is done, you are using more server resources. Of course, either of them will not handle a large number of listings and you may want go straight to the SQL version.
Quote Reply
Re: [socrates] Need opinion of decision between Links2 and DBMan In reply to
Thanks, socrates. Sorry it took so long for me to reply. I didn't get email notification (I didn't realize I had an obsolete email address in my profile).

I appreciate your point about the number of records it will handle. Do you have a number you can suggest that would be max # of records that Links2 will handle?

And if I go the SQL route, is that "MySQL" ? On a Unix server, that's what I normally use.

Thanks for your help.

Vito
Quote Reply
Re: [ceniti] Need opinion of decision between Links2 and DBMan In reply to
>>>Do you have a number you can suggest that would be max # of records that Links2 will handle? <<<

I think the most I have ever seen running on Links 2 is abou 6.5k, but this is VERY dodgy, as the dat filke can get corrupt very easily.

>>>And if I go the SQL route, is that "MySQL" ? On a Unix server, that's what I normally use. <<<

Yup, sure is. You can use mSQL, MySQL, MS SQL etc. Links SQL can handle several million links no problem...the only restriction really is the server Smile

Hope that helps

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Need opinion of decision between Links2 and DBMan In reply to
Thanks, Andy. I will now offer my client the 2 options. Since there is a big difference in price between the two, I'd better let him make the decision.

Vito