Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

fixed width column

Quote Reply
fixed width column
how do you get the column width to stay at a fixed width?

apparently,
Code:
<td width="125">
just means, well, h*ll I don't even know what that means. Minimum, maximum, variable. who knows? but one thing for sure, it ain't fixed.

You would think that if you set it to some number, that if would be fixed. But, noooooo, it still changes.

How do I set it so the column with NEVER changes regardless of the width of the browser?

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Quote Reply
Re: [esm] fixed width column In reply to
You could try using a nested table to prevent the cell from expanding out.
Quote Reply
Re: [stu2000] fixed width column In reply to
hadn't thought of that...although I've nested lots of tables.

did a little research and found the the following:

Quote:
WIDTH and HEIGHT suggest the cell's width and height in pixels. The boolean NOWRAP attribute tells visual browsers to disable word wrap for the cell, which can result in unnecessary horizontal scrolling depending on the user's window width and font size.

I like the part where it says that the WIDTH suggests the cells width. What a hoot!!!

looks like I can use the NOWRAP attribute

Thanks....

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Quote Reply
Re: [esm] fixed width column In reply to
Although, I would recommend using variable width percentages in the outer tables, and then use fixed pixil width values within the tables, to accomodate different monitor/screen sizes.
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] fixed width column In reply to
Cheers ESM, I just tried that NOWRAP attribute, works pretty well.

Will have to use that in future I thinks, if nests don't work.

Thanx again.