Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Weird thing with Top Rated...

Quote Reply
Weird thing with Top Rated...
Hello, I can't figure out why my Top Rated is doing the following (see 2nd to last entry):

Quote:
Top 10 Resources (by Votes) -- with at least 4 votes

Rating # Votes Resource

8.16 78 The Vampire White Pages

9.29 31 Yahoo Club: Vampires Among Us' Night Haven

7.40 15 A Theory On Real Vampirism

8.19 15 Shadowclad

8.36 11 Bloody Minded: A Message Board for Blood-Drinkers

9.80 10 Raven's Underworld

8.12 8 Sanguinarius's Vampiric Community Message Board

8.86 7 SphynxCat's Real Vampires Page

10.00 6 The Vampire/Donor Alliance

No 10.00 442

9.50 4 Enter My World - A Vampire Site

"No" should be the rating, 10.00 should be votes, and 442 should be "Lilith's Lair" What's going on here? :/

------------------

--Sanguinarius
The Real Vampire Directory
www.sanguinarius.org/cgi-bin/links/pages/
Quote Reply
Re: Weird thing with Top Rated... In reply to
That is odd. It definitely looks like something is off in the db file though (like a a missing field). Since you know which record it is supposed to be, view it in your admin and make sure ALL the data fields line up correctly. If something is off, download your db file, find the record in question, and compare it to its neighbors. That should tell you what's out of whack.

If everything seems to be OK in the admin, try rebuilding to see if it corrects itself. If that doesn't work, I'm at a loss.
Quote Reply
Have you edited your links.def file by adding in new fields or replacing original field names with new field names?

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Founder and Editor
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
http://www.anthrotech.com/
info@anthrotech.com
==========================
Coconino Community College
http://www.coco.cc.az.us/
Web Technology
Coordinator
elee@coco.cc.az.us
Quote Reply
No, I haven't.
Quote Reply
I had a problem similar, that affected the the middle of the list. 2-3 records were not printed, and there was a hole left in the HTML.

It only affected the rank-by-votes list, _NOT_ the rank-by-rating list. The same records printed out fine in the ratings rank.

There _is_ something odd with this routine, but I couldn't figure out what it was, and by the time I talked with Alex about it, my vote counts had gone up enough the problem went away.

Happy hunting!
Quote Reply
You also lowered your '10' to '4' like I did, and I wonder if it's something internal that was using the '10' and masked the error???
Quote Reply
Re: [Sanguinarius] Weird thing with Top Rated... In reply to
Bumpitty Bump.

I have this exact same problem

Although this person did a better job of explaining the error. Has anyone looked into this? I hate modifying the Top Rated Page by hand. Unsure
Quote Reply
Re: [pixelwarrior] Weird thing with Top Rated... In reply to
odd. It did sort of fix itself. After I added a couple of hits and rated the offending entries again...and the Top Rated page built beautifully.

So, um...nevermind. Crazy