Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

User/ Password admin.cgi

Quote Reply
User/ Password admin.cgi
I forget user name and password to admin.cgi. Can you tell me where to find it?

http://www.mydomain.com/...inks/admin/admin.cgi

Thanks

Yabay
Quote Reply
Re: [yabay] User/ Password admin.cgi In reply to
You need to go into FTP, and delete the .htaccess files. A simple way to do this, is log in via CuteFTP, goto the admin folder....and type a custom command saying;

DELE .htaccess

and then

DELE .htpasswd

Then, upload the attached script to your admin folder, CHMOD to 755, and run. You will be asked for a password, which is 'password'. Then just setup your new .htaccess password protection via that script...

Hope that helps Smile

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
In your admin directory there should be two files, named htaccess and htpasswd. Make backups of those (just in case...), then remoce them from the admin directory. Now go to your admin, it should have the "unprotected" warning again, and you can create a new username/password.

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFlunkie] User/ Password admin.cgi In reply to
>>
named htaccess and htpasswd
<<

Don't forget the "." Cool
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFlunkie] User/ Password admin.cgi In reply to
PerFlunkie,

I deleted those two files. I got this warning message to my Links 2.0 Administration Menu:

"WARNING: ADMIN Directory is not Password Protected!!"

How do I create a new user and password?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Use the Ace Password Protector, posted by Andy just above here. It is easy to use, and has good instructions.

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] User/ Password admin.cgi In reply to

I got this message :

"There was an error. It was:

There was an error writing to .htaccess. /cgi-bin/links/admin/.htaccess. Reason : No such file or directory"

Quote Reply
Did you read the instructions? You need to upload and/or create ".htaccess" and ".htpassword" which are empty files. CHMOD to 666. The script does not create these files, it just writes to them.

Edit; I just read the readme posted above, and find that it is for version 3, while I use version 2. The current (v3) readme does not tell you to upload/create the files, but from looking at the cgi code, it looks like you still need to do so.

So, I understand why you were unclear on that point...

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie

Last edited by:

PerlFlunkie: Feb 24, 2003, 8:55 PM
Quote Reply
That doesn't look like a full path Wink You need a full one, like ou have in links.cfg, where you define the admin area.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] User/ Password admin.cgi In reply to
Andy / PerlFlunkie,

Thanks guys it works now!

Yabay