Quote Reply
Re: [kimber] Making Columns Wider In reply to
Check the reply to Boinky in Columns on index page

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFlunkie] Making Columns Wider In reply to
Hi Leonard,

I tried that and it did not make any differance at all. I know I did it correct, however there may be a step from an earlier thread I missed.

Kim
Quote Reply
After making the change, did you rebuild?

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
Yes and looked at the final code just to make sure :-)
Quote Reply
OK then, we either need a link to the site to see what's up, or you can post the source code from the page so we can see how it's built...

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
Ths site is located at http://pilotwebsites.com

And I found the code right where you said it was, when I added width = "50%", nothing changed, I even added other amounts.
Quote Reply
Things are kinda squeezy on that page, you'll need to make a few adjustments. Here is one:

<td valign="top" width="500"><h2> Category </h2>

<div class="margin"><table width="100%" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tr><td valign="top" width="50%">

</td><td valign="top" width="50%">

Change the table width to 100%, and add in the column widths as mentioned above. This will help, but you will also need to change the css definitions, if you use them. If not, remove them. In my test, the page looked better, but still needed some finessing, but I did not load the style sheet. Also, to make your output (source) code much easier to read, put in a line break, like so:

# Then we print out the name linked, new if it's new, and popular if its popular.
$output .= qq|<dl><dt><strong><a class="link" href="$url">$category_name</a></strong> <small class="numlinks">($numlinks)</small> |;
$output .= qq|<small><sup class="new">new</sup></small>| if (&days_old($mod) < $db_new_cutoff);
$output .= qq|</dt>|;
$output .= qq|<dd><span class="descript">$description </span></dd>| if (!($description =~ /^[\s\n]*$/));
$output .= qq|</dl>\n|;

Put that red part last, and each category name will print on its' own line, instead of running wide and hard to read.

Another thing to look at, after the links categories column you have this:

There are <strong>1</strong> links for you to choose from!
</td>
<td width="130" valign="top"><br>
<td valign="top" width="300"><h2> Sponsored </h2>

This will not work right, since you're putting a 300 wide column inside a 130. Other than that stuff, the page looks good!

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie