Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Just a sad lament...

Quote Reply
Just a sad lament...
Have learned a lot through the years with Links 2, very sad to see that it has pretty much been left in the dust. Sure, there are flashier scripts out there, but as a reliable workhorse, this one is hard to beat. I still use a highly modifed version of it as a membership roster, and it does the job well.

Would be great to see this go Open Source, or at least free for commercial use, too. I am a fan of basic, simple code, and have no plans of jumping on the latest (web 2.0) foo-fraw bandwagon, sites loaded with stuff that just slows down page loading.

I still see the internet as a tool, not a toy. Guess I'm obsolete... Frown

At one time, over the span of a year, I averaged a post a day here. Now I hear my keystrokes echoing in this hollow forum, probably to be seen only by the moderator.

PS... I see I need to change my sig, as I let my old site go.

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie

Last edited by:

PerlFlunkie: Feb 27, 2011, 11:32 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFlunkie] Just a sad lament... In reply to
I'm with you on this one. Would be nice to see it go open source, so people can still get some use out of it. Great bit of software, and would be a shame to see it completly die out.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Good idea, would bring back some life into this forum, too Cool

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
Thought I would stop by and AGREE!

Sandra Roussel
Chonsa Group Design - Fresh Start Housing
Quote Reply
Links 2 is a fine script to publish links on web sites and Open Source would be great.
We used Links 2 for nearly 6 years to provide Freeware Download Links for our forum guests.
Late 2007 we decided to move our download section into VBulletin using GARS (Geek Article Review System) - since then I'm no longer in with PERL
Although I was a beginner and it wasn't easy for me to customize Perl Scripts I still miss some of the Links 2 features ...
But I still remember your help and tips, Leonard - Thank you once again.

Andreas

Dr.Windows

Quote Reply
Dear PerlFlunkie,

I understand your perspective and wanted to share my thoughts with you today. As an administrator, I've developed and currently maintain sustainable websites by choosing the best Perl applications and bringing them together to form a website, long before the current CMS bandwagon.

Unlike the PHP fad, I prefer Perl applications, with the actual code in the backend and pure HTML in the frontend. The pages load faster and there is less stress on the server CPU. Personally speaking, every Perl programmer I've requested help from in the past 15 years has been kind and always resolved my coding requirements, problems and questions.

Thank you for helping me with the last issue, I appreciate your help very much and look forward to learning more from you in the years to come.

Thank you again for all that you do, it makes a difference.

Keep up the great work and spirits!

Zoro
Quote Reply
Re: [Zoro] Just a sad lament... In reply to
Perl Flunkie, I too appreciate all your help as well as the others in this forum who have helped in the past. I still use Links 2 but because it is such a great script I don't have any problems arising that need immediate attention. You and others have resolved them for me. Open Source is a great idea and I hope those with the power are listening. Keep up the great work and remember that you all are appreciated more than you know or sometimes hear to infrequently. Wink
Nootkan