Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

The future of Links2 (attention GT staff!)

Quote Reply
The future of Links2 (attention GT staff!)
I suggest that GT make Links2 Open Source, which would assist in it's longevity. It would be interesting to know the download and sales statistics for the last few years... Unimpressed

Traffic on these forums has dropped WAY off since I first visited. I'm sure there a few of us around that would be amenable to updating the basic code, maybe writing a simple install/user guide (readme). I think the direction of websites has changed, and collections of links are no longer what people "do". The power of Links2 is that, with simple changes, it can perform a vast array of tasks.

One of my projects has it being used as a membership directory, with many custom fields, photo uploads, links to get maps to members, and more. That install builds PHP pages, which are password-protected by a PHP script.

Another one displays a fellows' collection of police patches, with thumbnails linked to full-screen images. (There's a whole culture out there that's into collecting and trading them.)

So, I again suggest to the folks at GT (are you listening?) that Links2 be made Open Source, or at least reduced in price to $50 or less.

Quote:
Open source doesn't just mean access to the source code.

Quote:

The basic idea behind open source is very simple: When programmers can read, redistribute, and modify the source code for a piece of software, the software evolves. People improve it, people adapt it, people fix bugs. And this can happen at a speed that, if one is used to the slow pace of conventional software development, seems astonishing.

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie

Last edited by:

PerlFlunkie: Nov 15, 2005, 3:28 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFlunkie] The future of Links2 (attention GT staff!) In reply to
I guess they were not listening. I for one will go to another product (open source) or stop using this all together when this software goes away.
Gary Bradshaw
www.pilotjourney.com
Quote Reply
Re: [pilotjourney] The future of Links2 (attention GT staff!) In reply to
Is anyone at GT listening??
Crazy
Quote Reply
Re: [Dingle_B] The future of Links2 (attention GT staff!) In reply to
To late for me. I already made the switch. I went to Joomla! and used a product from www.phil-taylor.com called mosDirectory.
Gary Bradshaw
www.pilotjourney.com
Quote Reply
Re: [pilotjourney] The future of Links2 (attention GT staff!) In reply to
thanks for the info..... I will check it out....
Crazy
Quote Reply
Re: [Dingle_B] The future of Links2 (attention GT staff!) In reply to
I sent a message to GT and received a reply which stated in part...

"There is indeed merit in the idea and it's something that we've been
talking about quite a bit here in the office."

I will follow up on that message, and post the results here.

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFlunkie] The future of Links2 (attention GT staff!) In reply to
Well, don't look for links2 to go OpenSource anytime soon. The staff is busy working on new projects, with no time left to work on good ol' flatfile foundations. Links2 has been doing pretty well despite the neglect of its creators, and still has much to offer. I keep finding new things to do with it, and it does them just fine, thank you very much!

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie