Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

links keep disappearing??

Quote Reply
links keep disappearing??
i keep losing abou half the links that should be on the site.

For one reason or another something goes wrong with the script somewhere when it's rebuilding itself. I've got a fair few modifications on it - but it's been working smoothly for months but recently there have been a couple of times when it's lost tons of links.

Is there anything that i should double check in particular? Is there any point in the building cycle where it can timeout and cut off the rebuild?

Any ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: [bs7] links keep disappearing?? In reply to
Are you using Build All or Staggered? Try the Staggered Auto if you haven't.

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
Re: [bs7] links keep disappearing?? In reply to
it's time to upgrade to Links SQL, my friend.

ASCII databases are prone to corruption. There's not much you can do to prevent this, although here are a few tips:

a) ensure that flock is supported by your server's OS, and is enabled in links.cfg
b) keep the size of the database to less than 1000 records or 1MB
c) consider maintaining your database offline
d) run nph-build.cgi from telnet/SSH rather via HTTP. HTTP connections are more likely to timeout.

Philip
------------------
Limecat is not pleased.
Quote Reply
Re: [fuzzy logic] links keep disappearing?? In reply to
Quote:
d) run nph-build.cgi from telnet/SSH rather via HTTP. HTTP connections are more likely to timeout.

Or cron :)

As Philip said though, its definatly worth looking into upgrading to LinksSQL (if you purchased Links2, then you may be eligable to an upgrade discount).

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] links keep disappearing?? In reply to
How many links do u think Links 2.0 can handle easily with no errors ?
>> Nakul Goyal (SEO, Link Building Expert)
Web Site Promotion
Tips 'n' Tricks
SEO News

Quote Reply
Re: [nakulgoyal] links keep disappearing?? In reply to
300-400, but up to 1,500 *at a push*

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Any catch for the number of categories/sub categories as well ?
Web Site Promotion
Tips 'n' Tricks
SEO News

Quote Reply
100-200 categories would probably be about the limit.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
and how does these numbers get better with Links SQL ? I see Hotscripts with over 100,000 links already.
Web Site Promotion
Tips 'n' Tricks
SEO News

Quote Reply
Because it runs on a SQL engine. MySQL runs 2-3million links happily on a decent server with mod_perl.

MYSQL still uses flatfiles, as they hold the database... but the way they are accessed and organised, means they don't corrupt anywhere near as often as normal flatfile databases, and when they do, its normally just a case of running myisamchk to fix up the errors, and voila :) In general, LinksSQL is worth every cent.. if you can afford 2 licenses of LinksSQL, and not Links2, then I think you will find it so much more powerful for your website(s). A lot of people underestimate the power of LinksSQL.... Sly

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
I dont underestimate the power of LinksSQL but dont underestimnate the power of money required.
Web Site Promotion
Tips 'n' Tricks
SEO News

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I dont underestimate the power of LinksSQL but dont underestimnate the power of money required.

hehe - too true
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
300-400, but up to 1,500 *at a push*

Cheers

This is news to me...I feel safe in saying this wasn't a "feature" listed in the sales materials. I came to the forums today because a good 400 of my links are now missing.

If this is a known limitation, why aren't we told about it and what is our recourse? I bought five licenses in December 03 and finally got around to using it to on a site that *used to have* 750-plus links.

I can't even begin to explain how frustrated I am. Especially to find out that my only recourse might be to upgrade to LinkSQL? What are the refund policies here? Not only from a normal purchase, but in light of software that doesn't live up to its promises?

<sigh>
Kevin

My Green Promise: To learn (and practice) as much as I can about living a sustainable life and then spreading the word.
What's your Green Promise?
Quote Reply
Re: [kthull] links keep disappearing?? In reply to
From what I've seen, Links2 can easily handle 2,000 links; there are some around with over 5,000. Mine has about 350 links in 75 categories/subcategories. It lost the whole links.db once (in four years), and it was easily replaced by using the backup file. In my opinion, Links2 is a very good program. Don't give up on it yet. If you need help restoring your .db, let me know.

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFlunkie] links keep disappearing?? In reply to
I appreciate the pep talk and picked a backup file from a couple days ago based on file size. Now I have two days of cleanup and additions to add back into the file.

I was just so close to finishing this cleanup project and moving on to some of my other sites that need cleanup. And I've been considering moving from the other scripts that I'm using to Links for those sites as well, but I can't afford to get burned like this again.

Thanks,
Kevin
Kevin

My Green Promise: To learn (and practice) as much as I can about living a sustainable life and then spreading the word.
Quote Reply
Links creates a backup file at every build (only one per day), but if you made changes to to the links.db via admin, and did not rebuild, then there would not have been a backup made. :(

Look at this site I made for a friend; it uses Links2 with several mods: http://jamesdpatches.com/patches/index.html

It has over 1,300 links, all local, using info.cgi. He has to use Staggered Auto to build, as Build All stops before all is done.

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
It's looking more like during a rebuild the database got chopped because the file goes from 198k to 127k from 11-10 to 11-11.

Jack Ong called me shortly after submitting a tech support request and assured me the theoretical limit is more likely 2500 links, but subject to a number of factors so it's really not a number that can be neatly nailed down. It seems it's time for me to switch hosts as it's possible my script functions are timing out mid-process.

Thanks Leonard for your support. I've seen this forum as less than welcoming at times, but you are very kind.

Kevin
Kevin

Quote Reply
Thanks fer the kind words...Blush I do enjoy trying to help out here. The site I linked above is hosted at http://powweb.com, good prices and good service.

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
Ok Leonard,

I have the same problem. My links 2.0 had about 800 active links and shows that I am at ID#1042(the difference is mostly due to rejections/deletions etc) Now suddenly it still shows 1,042 as the Id when I do a build all. But the home page says there are only 77 links! I tried the Staggered Auto that you mention above. Didn't help. Will restoring from the backup file fix things or have I lost the 700+ for good? If the back up is the answer then how do I do the restore from the backup?

Thanks for any help

Rich
Quote Reply
Re: [Ribed] links keep disappearing?? In reply to
Hi Leonard,

Actually, after I posted the above, I figured out how to do it. It was easy. I just deleted the links.db file from the data folder, then went and found a backup in the backup folder with all the links I wanted in it that was closest to the present date. Then I copied the file to the data folder and then renamed the file to links.db All I had to do then was do a Staggered Auto and presto the links were back!

Hope this helps someone else with the same problem.