Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Newbie questions, willing to learn.

Quote Reply
Newbie questions, willing to learn.
Hi I'm a complete newbie to links 2 (and html/pearl coding) so please be patient with me, here are the questions:

1. I've been looking into links.db and it seems very logical build. can I edit directly in the file? or will it corrupt if I do that? (for example add links and modify links) (same for categories.db)and if i do edit that all changes be added to the site after I have press the build button?

2. If I want to display one link in multiple categories is that possible without adding an input in links.db? (or do I have to create extra fields where I can define extra categories)

Oh the site I'm making is:

http://www.fmplaza.nl

Thanks for reading.
Quote Reply
Re: [max sonnen] Newbie questions, willing to learn. In reply to
Your site looks great! I can't read a word of it, but oh well...

1. It is possible to add directly to the links.db, but when you use the admin panel, it will automatically add to the url.db and email.db files, also. The other thing you would need to keep up with is linksid.txt, which keeps up with the number of links you have (also done when using the admin add). Better to add through the admin, but it's quick and easy to edit existing entries directly in the .db file.

2. To have a link entered under multiple categories, use the altcat mod. There are several threads that discuss this mod, here is the original.

Once you have that mod installed (and working), here is a quick note on using it:

You can select more than one alt category by holding down the control key and clicking the alt cat. In the .db file, the separator between these multiple categories will be the ~~.

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFlunkie] Newbie questions, willing to learn. In reply to
Ah great, thanks for the quick responce I think I get that (still trying to get the bulkload mod to work)

(I didn't actually build the site I was hired to upload some content (using the add button, but I don't like RSI) but since It would cost me 30-40 hrs to upload the 1300 sites I have. I'm trying to find faster ways and learn a bit of the programming doing it)

Well two more questions:

I currently have 1300 sites that need to be uploaded but I only have name, category & url(in excel file). is there a way I can get the site description without clicking and copy pasting it from the actual site? (some automated process)

How do I edit the CHMod value of a file other than WS_FTP I'm currently using? (can only give it 7-6-4 not (example 744 not 755)

Last edited by:

max sonnen: Jan 19, 2004, 2:45 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [max sonnen] Newbie questions, willing to learn. In reply to
Quote:
I currently have 1300 sites that need to be uploaded but I only have name, category & url(in excel file). is there a way I can get the site description without clicking and copy pasting it from the actual site? (some automated process)

I wouldn't recommend anything over 300-400 links really (although people have had Links2 working on 1000+). Because its flatfile, there is a high possability of the database getting corrupt.

If you have the money, I would highly recommend LinksSQL. Its far more advanced, and can handle millions, not hundreds of links :)

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Newbie questions, willing to learn. In reply to
Just FYI. We have over 2,300 link in our flat file database and have never had a problem in several years.