Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Links 1.11 problems possible upgrade...?

Quote Reply
Links 1.11 problems possible upgrade...?
Hello,

I'm new here so I aplogize in advance if this not the appropriate Forum...

I've had version 1.11 running for some time now but it seems some URL Links work fine and others do not. For some strange reason, non-working links seem to have the root url to the site appended to the beginning of the correct url...

I've looked at the links.db and url.db files and have noticed the first column, which I'll call "index_num" for breivity, have begun to repeat. Meaning, I have duplicate values for index_num for different records. Can I re-number the index_num values so they are the same for each record in both links.db and url.db files...?

Lastly, has this been corrected in version 2.0 and should I upgrade...?

Many Thanks,
Jim
Quote Reply
Re: [SodaJim] Links 1.11 problems possible upgrade...? In reply to
I remember this being a problem with Links 1.X, and I guess it has been fixed in Links 2.0, since I've never come across that problem.

What I would recommend doing is opening your links.db in Excel, re-numbering the links and edit the linksid.txt file to contain the last ID number in the links.db file.

Then re-build your links directory after you replace the old links.db file with the new links.db file. (The url.db file will be refreshed when you re-build.)
========================================
Buh Bye!

Cheers,
Me
Quote Reply
Yeah, I would recommend. Links 1.11 is mega old (96-98) Frown

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Links 1.11 problems possible upgrade...? In reply to
You guys are right, it's old but it seemed to get the job done and I'm not really in the market to spend $150 for allowing visitors the ability to add links to my site...

I manually re-indexed the files so the links.db and url.db match with no duplicate index numbers; I also set the number of the last index number in the linksid.txt file.

For some reason, the script is still appending the root url to the beginning of the referenced link... Maybe something in jump.cgi...? Below is what the url looks like if you click on one of the ones that causes this:

http://mydomain.com/links/www.visitor-link.com

Any suggestions...
Thanks again,
Jim

Last edited by:

SodaJim: Jun 11, 2003, 8:48 AM
Quote Reply
Hello again...

I installed version 2.0 into a new directory, ran the upgrade.pl, verified links.db & url.db are correct, linksid.txt reflects the last ID used, copied all the old directories/pages with the exception of the default ones created during installation. Rebuilt everything and all seems to function fine EXCEPT clicking on certain links appends the root url of my site to the beginning of the referenced url... Check it out and see if you get the same results:

Links Home Page:
http://soda-machines.com/links_v/

One of the Categories:
http://soda-machines.com/links_v/Suppliers/

While in the above category, click on the top link, you'll get a 404 error, click on the second link and you should be at the vistor's site...

Perhaps, I should post this into the appropriate forum since this topic has changed slightly...

Any direction appreciated,
Jim

Last edited by:

SodaJim: Jun 12, 2003, 2:11 PM
Quote Reply
Seems to work for me. 'Top' takes me to;

http://soda-machines.com/links_v/ Unsure

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Links 1.11 problems possible upgrade...? In reply to
Thanks for the reply Andy!

However, click on the first link labled "Retro Soda Inc" and you'll get an unusual url

Click on the next link down, Beverage Express, and you will be redirected correctly.

I cannot figure out why there's a difference with one leading to a wierd link and the other working...

This happens on several different links in different categories.

Any direction appreciated,
Jim