Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Templates or site-html_templates

Quote Reply
Templates or site-html_templates
Hi everybody,

Before I start changing everything to make both methods work (templates, or sites_html_templates.pl)
I'd like to know the real difference in performance en possibilities between the two options.

If there isn't a good reason to edit all files and make both ways of dsiplaying HTML always work, I might as well stick to the html templates (and delete sites_html_templates.pl!?)

Please tell me if you have any suggestions about this, or if it's totally useless to make bothe methods work, or maybe even impossible!?
Thanks a lot!
Byebye
Gil

Thanks a lot!
Byebye
Gil
Quote Reply
Re: Templates or site-html_templates In reply to
Templates are a lot easier to configure because of the following reasons:

1) Perl and HTML codes are separated. Using tags for variables defined in the .pl and .cgi files is a lot easier than remember to add closing brackets of conditional statements or subroutines. So, you do not have to worry so much of the Perl, but designing your site the way you want.

2) In terms of adding common elements via SSI, it is a lot easier to do this via Templates.

3) If you plan to upgrade your Links site to Links SQL, it is best to use templates, since Links SQL is template based and the upgrade process would be a lot easier.

If you are a Perl newbie and want to learn it, then using site_html.pl would provide you that opportunity. However, be prepared for higher frustration levels since you will have to fix a lot of syntax errors during the learning process.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Thanks Eliot,

So you convinced me. And I do agree templates are easier.
Two more about this subject. If using the templates methos, which files can I delete? I assume sites_shtml.pl, plus a few lines of code that call for the script.

The other question, is it a good idea to try to always make both methods work? Or is this a waist of time?

Thanks!
Gil

Thanks a lot!
Byebye
Gil
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
If using the templates methos, which files can I delete? I assume sites_shtml.pl, plus a few lines of code that call for the script.
Simply...delete the site_html.pl. DO NOT hack the .cgi scripts where the site_html.pl is referenced because at any time in the future you want to use the site_html.pl, you will have to go through the .cgi scripts and re-add the appropriate codes.

In Reply To:
The other question, is it a good idea to try to always make both methods work? Or is this a waist of time?
Waste of time. Use one or the other...not both.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Hi Eliot,

Thanks a lot! I hoped that would be your answer!

Nice weekend,
Gil

Thanks a lot!
Byebye
Gil
Quote Reply
You're welcome.

Regards,

Eliot Lee