Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Permission on new index.html files going to 644

Quote Reply
Permission on new index.html files going to 644
While similar, this is not the same problem as links.db getting the 644 permissions. The latter I've solved by reading the FAQ.
However, each time I add a new category to Links 2.x, and run nph-build.cgi (from either telnet or browser), it writes the new index.html file with 644 permissions. I have ensured that the directories the script is writing to have 777 permissions.
I've combed the FAQ and can't find a listing pertaining to *new* index.html files. A pointer in the right direction to getting the index.html files written with 666 permissions would be most appreciated.

David
Quote Reply
Re: Permission on new index.html files going to 644 In reply to
644 should be the normal permission of the index.html file created after you build your site.

WHY do you want the index.html file to be 666???

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Not sure if this problem is the same, but my script has been working great thanks to some nice pointers by Elliot & The Bmxer...

Today however, i validated a link, and pressed BUILD and get the following

error:unable to open what's new page: /var/www/virtual/mydomain/pages/New/index.html. Reason: Permission denied

It WAS working last nite before i went to bed, so any ideas on what i should do to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Conan

Quote Reply
That's exactly the problem I've been having, Conan. And it's bizarre...because the problem has stopped as suddenly as it started.
I had been going into the /links/pages directory and manually changing the permissions of the file so that I could run nph-build.cgi. Today, I didn't have to do that. Can't explain why.
BUT...if I try to run either Staggered or Staggered (Auto) from my browser (I typically run nph-build.cgi from telnet), I get the permissions error again.
All I can say is change the permissions of the What's New index.html file to rw-r-r manually, then run nph-build.cgi from the command line instead of the Web.
Works for me. Wink

David
Quote Reply
Make sure that your /links/pages/ directory is set to 777. The index.html file should be 644. Trust me!

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Thanks, Eliot. But the permissions on all files and directories were the first thing I checked two weeks ago when the problem began. And, other than changing the permissions on the index.html file (the one that generated the permission denied message), I've touched nothing else.

And suddenly it started working again.

This is my second install of the script. The first one, on my Bloodfetish site, went smoothly. However, for about 3 days, I got the permission denied message when I tried using build all in my browser. I switched from building using the browser to telnetting and command line ./nph-build.cgi and that cleared it up.

The Gypsyqueen install also when smoothly, and Links 2.x worked with no problem for several days. Then one day two weeks ago, I got the permission denied message. It's cleared itself up, although by adding the Span Pages mod I may have inadvertently done something to clear up the permissions problems without realizing it.

David
Quote Reply
That is what´s been happening to me, and what I posted on "Cant build, permission denied". It just started happening, pretty weird. Y2K bug maybe? j/k :-)
In the meantime, I´m just deleting everything through FTP before building everytime I need to build.
Quote Reply
Sounds like y'll need to have some conversations with your hosting company. They may be changing permissions of your files to stop you from using LINKS on their server.

CONTACT YOUR ISP or hosting company.

Regards.

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------