Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

Adding & Removing from Database

Quote Reply
Adding & Removing from Database
Hi, are there any consequences from adding or deleting listings from the links.db using a text editor? And I have gaps in the ID numbering system in my DB. If I add a listing to the db through a text editor can I use one of the previous ID numbers that is not being used?

Thanks

John Hesch

Quote Reply
Re: Adding & Removing from Database In reply to
In Reply To:
Hi, are there any consequences from adding or deleting listings from the links.db using a text editor?
Yea...if you do not add the correct number of delimiters for empty fields in your records and if you are using a text editor uses linewrapping (like NotePad) for lines, then your database will quickly become corrupted.

For better solutions than using a plain text editor (like NotePad or SimpleText), please search this forum for editing off-line.

In Reply To:
If I add a listing to the db through a text editor can I use one of the previous ID numbers that is not being used?
You could do that...however, WHY?!?! If you do this, you need to make sure that the linksid.txt file contains the highest record number in your links.db.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Code:
For better solutions than using a plain text editor (like NotePad or SimpleText), please search this forum for editing off-line.
Ok, thanks, I will do that.

Code:
You could do that...however, WHY?!?!
Well, I'm not sure. I just have large gaps in my numbering and I didn't know if it was more effecient to use the lower numbers that weren't being used. I guess I won't worry about that.

Thanks Eliot

John Hesch

Quote Reply
IT doesn't matter about the record ID number. Don't worry about it!

Regards,

Eliot Lee