Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

nph-verify doesn't work

Quote Reply
nph-verify doesn't work
I'd like to know if anybody found the way to have its links checked as nph-verify doesn't do the job.
The MOD written by Bobsie (bad report) was for the previous version of nph-verify.

My nph stop after verifying few links and I haven't find the way to have ALL my links check.

Help wanted.

Thanks

Quote Reply
Re: nph-verify doesn't work In reply to
It sounds linke you hacked the nph-verify. if so try replacing it with a fresh copy from the zip file and that should do it.

Regards
Abdoulrahman

http://www.idleb.com
Quote Reply
I did that several times, replaced nph-verify at least 4 times, and still get the same result. Quick check doesn't work at all and detailed stop after checking few links!

Quote Reply
i have got a problem quite similar to yours, but my nph-verify doesn't work at all, when i call it, i get a timeout after 20 secs. without any links checked. is that because of the settings of the server?

Quote Reply
It may be due to the number of links in your database.

Try running nph-verify through telnet or command prompt

Paul Wilson.
(Dont blame me if I'm wrong!)
Quote Reply
I wouldn't be surprised if you never get nph-verify to run on a particular host.

For some people it just works, for others it will not work no matter what you do. I am very happy with my current host, but after 6 months I still don't have nph-verify working. It worked with no modifications at a previous host (Telet or browser) - I have no idea what the problem is, and like many others, I don't have the tools or the knowledge to diagnose the problem further.

If anyone is really a perl-guru, a new nph-verify mod or replacment which allows more flexiblity and configuration options (so it was likely to work everywhere, like an option to check x-number of links, or timeout trying a given link after x-number of seconds) would be a huge asset to the Links community.

Quote Reply
BTW, because I couldn't get nph-verify to run on my hosting accounts, as a temporary workaround I installed Active Perl on my local machine, duplicated my links path structure, and this way I can run verify locally without any problems. However, over my 33.6 connection (nothing else availabe in my area until Giliat or another satellite option because of 25 miles of water), the verify takes hours to complete! So something which runs on my server account would be much better. But this works for now.

Quote Reply
Wow, to run locally... I may give that a try some day... I never got nph-verify to work either, which is quite a problem in my opinion, as I think it is essential to have an up-to-date database. I hope some day there will be an alternative out, something that actually works (for everyone) Wink

Quote Reply
I think your host needs to have a certain module installed to use this feature. LWP maybe? Sounds right, but I could be wrong.

Quote Reply
Actually, the new nph-verify.cgi used in the current version of Links 2.0 uses Socket not LWP.

But you are correct, the problem is probably related to not having Socket module installed.

Also, the other problem is time-out parameters set by hosting companies.

There are two "fixes" for this:

1) As mentioned before, ask the hosting company to increase the time-out period to around 5 minutes.

2) Hack the nph-verify.cgi script to spawn child processes or break up the verification process. However, this is not a totally good fix with a flat file system. It works much better in Links SQL.

Good luck!

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
I've the same problem - it dowsn't work at all.

With only a few links in the db it works all well but now it doesn't work online nor offline.

If I do it online I get no response - it doesn't make anything and nothing appears on the screen

If I do it offline i get the following (I use Win98 and Xitami Webserver):
This server is currently overloaded - please try again later

I've got 214 links in my DB as you can see on my page

cYa DesertWolf
Webmaster http://www.dwo.f2s.com
Quote Reply
There is a new nph-verify.cgi in 2.0? If so, I need to do a fresh download... my version was written to use either LWP or Socket, but since LWP doesn't work for me at all, even though I had all the modules installed by my host, I had to force it to use Socket - but now I have the problem that it only checks about the first 20 links and then it stalls. I know it must be a timeout problem. But is there really a new nph-verify.cgi out??? I'd be willing to try it and see if it works better...
However, I would like to switch to Links SQL but the price tag is a bit too steep for me Crazy, and I would have a hard time to port all my mods... so, a better nph-verify.cgi would be most welcome!

Quote Reply
I spent some time researching various spidering tools last year, both with a view to collecting links, and verifying. Eventually I settled on Xenu's Link Sleuth:

http://home.snafu.de/tilman/xenulink.html

It's small, simple, fast, and free. Right up there with Arachnophilia and Links 2.0 in my personal "best tools available list".

Personally I generate a bespoke html page for testing - by downloading links.db into Excel and chopping out all but the URLs, then point Xenu at the local page I make from this list. This saves hammering your server. But, if you do point it directly at your site, you will get nice page by page reports (in html) which makes database cleansing easier.

Best.

- Paul

Quote Reply
Thanks, I just downloaded it and it seems to be working just great... Smile

Quote Reply
I too am at a lost as is my hosting service. I ran Links on my personal website before installing it on its own domain. Verify works fine on my old server but when I secured another hosting account my service placed it on a Redhat(?) server. Now verify does not work at all. I get an message that the "page requested has no data contact network administrator". I have copied nph-verify from the working site... nothing. I have copied the database to my old site... works fine?!?! After a lengthy conversation with my host... nothing. They asked if I would ask you folks for help in figuring out what is wrong... any ideas?

Quote Reply
Re: [wirefram] nph-verify doesn't work In reply to
Wink I see this problem does not have posts after the year 2000 perhaps its been fixed but heres what I did. for v2.01

find lines 180-182
) or return undef, $@;
$sock->autoflush(1);
$sock->timeout(5);

change them to

Timeout => 1) or return undef, $@;
## $sock->autoflush(1);
## $sock->timeout(5);

The time out here "Timeout => 1" is set to 1 second (I'm so impatient)
you can set it to your needs.

apparently if a there is a connection failure the script hangs because the timeout is not working. the above code works perfectly for me. BTW after 6 hours of searching I found the above syntax on the perlmonks.com THANKS!! Monks.

I used it on 350 links but I wonder if the browser will blowup as some point since it dumps everything to one page.

Now if some one could make code so we could check links 1-300 then 301-601 etc.!!!

warren@spectralnet.com