Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Discussions :

moving the links.db file

Quote Reply
moving the links.db file
I may need to move my links.db out of the data folder. What are the dangers, if any? I need to be able to access it but I don't seem to be able to open it when it is in the data folder. when I put a copy of it in another folder underneath the cgi-bin folder, I can access it.

the permissions for the folders are

cgi-bin
data: 755
links.db 666

links: 777
admin: 777
links.db 666

I would just as soon fix the error "could not open ...cg-bin/links/admin/data/links.db file" so that I don't have to move the links.db file.

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Quote Reply
Re: [esm] moving the links.db file In reply to
In what way are you trying to access the it? (the way that fails)
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] moving the links.db file In reply to
thru dbman. that works when the links.db file is in the data folder under the cgi-bin folder but not under the links/admin/data folder...

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I would just as soon fix the error "could not open ...cg-bin/links/admin/data/links.db file" so that I don't have to move the links.db file.

If that isn't a typo from when you were posting, you have an incorrect path in links.cfg

cg-bin/links/admin/data/links.db

should be

cgi-bin/links/admin/data/links.db

Also, if your Perl CGI scripts do not run as the owner (most run as other/world on free hosts) the permissions for the data directory need to be at least 666, or the script will not be able to write to the files within.

755 only allows read and execute for Group and Other (Owner has read, write and execute permissions).
Quote Reply
Re: [wysardry] moving the links.db file In reply to
yep, that was just a typo. I pay for hosting so I am not not free site.

Code:
cgi-bin
links.db 666

cgi-bin
links: 777
admin: 777
links.db 666

well, I will never understand Unix's permissions.

the only difference between accessing the links.db is that the 2nd one has to go thru two add'l folder levels one is set at 777 amd one at 755.

Is there something beyond 777?

Gene

Last edited by:

esm: Feb 2, 2003, 7:49 AM
Quote Reply
Try chmodding the data folder to 777
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] moving the links.db file In reply to
tried that and tried changing all to 755. still didn't work

the error msg is

error in search. unable to open database: http://www.mysite.com/.../admin/data/links.db.
Reason: No such file or directory

and I copied and pasted the link: from a path that I know is correct and by using the remane function and copying/pasting that as needed

it runs just fine if the url is http://www.mysite.com/cgi-bin/data/links.db

I even loaded the dbman to the http://www.mysite.com/...bin/links/admin/data folder. still would not run.

So what if I moved data folder to another location ( and changed the paths to them ). I should be able to do that with no danger, right?

Gene
Quote Reply
It shouldn't be a URL, it should be a path. i.e.

/home/public_html/username/cgi-bin/links/admin/data/links.db

not

http://www.mysite.com/cgi-bin/links/admin/data/links.db
Quote Reply
Re: [wysardry] moving the links.db file In reply to
yep, I thought of that as soon as I typed in the word URL. I changed it to the path and it worked.

Thanks for all your help guys. I really appreciate it.

I now have dbman accessing my Links 2 database. Primarily for searches. it is really nice.

Gene